do i really have to use premium gas in my mercedes benz 300e 1987 model?

MarcusPenn

Oct 22, 2010
i havent really had any problems with my car because i have not use regular gas before today as of gas wise

Nope. Just run regular and run a fuel system treatment with 1/2 a tank of chevron premium once a month and you won't have any fuel delivery problems (caused by fuel quality).

Mercedes is a high performance car, and I run premium in all my vehicles because I figure mercedes knows what up. If your car has high compression or a turbo it is designed for supreme only, and if you put the wrong gas in, you will destroy the engine. Its that simple, Your engine is designed and tuned, and tested using premium fuel and if you choose not too, the expensive engine damage is on you. You will hear it in the form of ping, which is actually a rattle sound, kinda like rocks in a can, but that is predetonation and your engine self destructs when this is happening. When you look at the cost of 100 gallons of gas, you save like 20 dollars. So REALLY, IS THE 6000 DOLLAR OR MORE MERCEDES ENGINE, WORTH THE SAVINGS? I don't think so. If you want to run regular, go for it, sell the mercedes, and buy one of those hondayotas that run on regular, and problem solved. best of luck.

It's best to use the octane rating recommended by the manufacturer. If you use a lower grade than recommended, your car may not run as well as it should and you may not get as good of fuel economy. Around here they are putting ethanol in the fuel and it has a higher octane rating than gasoline. I don't like it but can't do anything about it. If you try lower octane fuels, listen for pings or rattles from the engine under higher loads. Go higher if it pings.

Hi,
You can go as low as you want till it pings or diesels. Then go up 1 grade.

Back