Computer has power but will not start up?

Monty

Jun 11, 2008
I imagine that a similar situation to this has happened before, but I could not locate the thread.

At the moment, my HP Pavilion a530n desktop, running on XP SP2, will not even initiate startup.

I have disconnected all cables and reconnected the power cord. When I do this, a green light on the back of the power supply comes on indicating that power is being received to the unit. However, when I press the start button, nothing happens. The power supply starts up, fans are running, etc, but nothing is happening. I get no picture on my monitor, and it doesn't sound like the hard drive is spinning either.

Also, another thing is the start button, when started, lights up blue. The light is now very very dim, which to me clues that the power supply has just enough power to spin the fans, but not start up the hard drive? I don't know.

What is the problem here? Is it my power supply? Mother board? Hard drive? I'm not really sure. Early there was sort of a power surge, my outlet must have blown out, which is why I am in this problem to begin with. Anyways, when I look at the main connector from the power supply to the mother board, the light is lit up green, which to me indicates there is power to the mother board and works fine, but I can't be 100% sure.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Back