Cat keeps getting fleas - 'pets at home' are uneducated?

DopeyGirl

Oct 4, 2012
My neighbours got a new sofa and their old is outside and now a haven for cats and their fleas for the past 3 weeks.
I treat my cat every 4 weeks with frontline but these ones seem to be immune or something. So I google, (as you do) and found 'Advantage and stronghold' where recommended.
I went to 'Pets at Home' and asked for advice and was directed to one of their people who told me that advantage is just a weak version of frontline and will not work and that frontline is the best. I asked why was advantage £3 dearer then, but he didn't know.

I asked could I look at the package to see the ingredients and he told me that they don't list the active ingredient anymore (at this stage I thought he was obviously a knob) he then told me not to buy and bob martin products either as they burnt his dog and he sued them for £3500. Then he gave me tea tree ointment for a dog and said that it will help my cat, it didn't mention cats on the instructions at all, just mentioned dogs and puppies, so I queried this with him to which he said "Oh it doesn't say dogs or cats on it." BUT IT DOES! IT SAYS DOGS!

So I asked could I read the advantage box anyway to make my own mind up, and turns out it is a different ingredient and I bought it, He told me not to apply it to my cat though for at least 12 weeks as I had frontlined him a week ago. To which I said "Surely you are meant to treat a cat every 4/5 weeks?" to which he replied "oh yeah a cat is 8 weeks and a dog is 12"

I was just glad I had googled enough to make my own mind up otherwise I wouldn't have bought the Advantage.

Now I am treating the house with indorex but there still seems to be random fleas bouncing about this morning. I have hoovered, done boil washes, binned stuff, ironed stuff I normally wouldn't iron and binned things I normally wouldn't bin. Cat gets flea combed but never seem to catch any just get the eggs. I feel like crying.

So when can I apply the advantage and how can I break the cycle? Is my sofa destined for the bin?

PS - my neighbours are apparently waiting on someone collecting the sofa!
not to buy ANY* Bob martin (not and)
PS Been treating house non stop like a woman possessed for 6 days now!

Try a flea collar. I have found that they are very effective. They need renewing from time to time.

pets at home are known for their poor customer services.

all you can do is keep doing what your doing and get Advice from a vet.

Back