Cat keeps getting fleas - 'pets at home' are uneducated?

DopeyGirl

Oct 4, 2012
My neighbours got a new sofa and their old is outside and now a haven for cats and their fleas for the past 3 weeks.
I treat my cat every 4 weeks with frontline but these ones seem to be immune or something. So I google, (as you do) and found 'Advantage and stronghold' where recommended.
I went to 'Pets at Home' and asked for advice and was directed to one of their people who told me that advantage is just a weak version of frontline and will not work and that frontline is the best. I asked why was advantage £3 dearer then, but he didn't know.

I asked could I look at the package to see the ingredients and he told me that they don't list the active ingredient anymore (at this stage I thought he was obviously a knob) he then told me not to buy and bob martin products either as they burnt his dog and he sued them for £3500. Then he gave me tea tree ointment for a dog and said that it will help my cat, it didn't mention cats on the instructions at all, just mentioned dogs and puppies, so I queried this with him to which he said "Oh it doesn't say dogs or cats on it." BUT IT DOES! IT SAYS DOGS!

So I asked could I read the advantage box anyway to make my own mind up, and turns out it is a different ingredient and I bought it, He told me not to apply it to my cat though for at least 12 weeks as I had frontlined him a week ago. To which I said "Surely you are meant to treat a cat every 4/5 weeks?" to which he replied "oh yeah a cat is 8 weeks and a dog is 12"

I was just glad I had googled enough to make my own mind up otherwise I wouldn't have bought the Advantage.

Now I am treating the house with indorex but there still seems to be random fleas bouncing about this morning. I have hoovered, done boil washes, binned stuff, ironed stuff I normally wouldn't iron and binned things I normally wouldn't bin. Cat gets flea combed but never seem to catch any just get the eggs. I feel like crying.

So when can I apply the advantage and how can I break the cycle? Is my sofa destined for the bin?

PS - my neighbours are apparently waiting on someone collecting the sofa!
not to buy ANY* Bob martin (not and)
PS Been treating house non stop like a woman possessed for 6 days now!

Back