Are Americans required to purchase travel health insurance before entering France?

DXB

Apr 21, 2008
Are Americans required to purchase travel health insurance before entering France and Italy?
I'm going to start by stating that no person requires travel insurance when traveling anywhere. The only thing that I will state is being a non-EEC national, you won't be covered by the EHIC rights when travelling abroad, so it's advisable to either purchase the insurance or risk huge medical bills.
Source(s):
Mother worked in Medical Management in Italy for 17 years, I am Member of Parliament for EU state

Thanks for the answer ..so from what you said American citizens are not required to purchase travel health insurance another question.. I have a friend who is Chinese citizen but he was required to purchase health insurance before he received his schengen visa. Why?

Hi - I've been in the International Medical Insurance business for many years; despite whether required, or not, I really suggest you look into getting an international travel medical insurance plan. Here is the company that I recommend: https://www.worldtrips.com/quotes/default.asp?referid=9800575

If your trip is less than one year, I suggest looking into the Atlas Series (specifically, Atlas International).

Thanks - Brandi

Back