2005 Nissan Murano making thumping sound?

Steph

May 13, 2008
Here are my car symptoms:

Squils when you start up sometimes.
Has a constant fast thumping sound in park and while driving. I can feel the thumping as well. Also feels like grinding when in reverse.
Checked under the hood and the motor actually moves when I switch gears (maybe motor mounts are broken)
Leaks a little oil from somewhere I cant see.
Also, my front struts need to be replaced & my back shocks are bad as well.

Anyone know how much I'm looking at as far as repairs? :(

The squealing is from the belt, use belt dressing to expand the life of the belt, you can find that at auto stores. To replace it would be an hours worth of work plus the cost of the belt. The thumping sound I couldn't tell you without further help from you but it sounds like the transmission if your driving.... As for the motor moving there will be movement all cars are made to allow some flexing, best way to look for it is to get the cars up on a stand and visually look at the motor mounts or get under the car (while parked and emergency brake on) and have some one rev the engine enough to get the motor to move and check the sound mounts that way. Just make sure its someone you trust as that part is dangerous. Front struts and rear shocks aren't so bad if there isn't any rust, you can do that your self in a weekend, just buy new bolts to save yourself some time and bring a friend along to help. If you take it to a mechanic they usually charge 4 hours worth of work, so roughly $400 plus parts.

Back