How do you handle son & family moving away when his wife hates us and probably

mimi25

Feb 26, 2009
won't see or hear from them? Our only son has been married for 5 years. At first, his wife to be and us (his Mom, Dad, and sister) got along well. Things began to change and now the family relationships are strained to say the least. She has been on and off anxiety medicine. They (with 3 grand kids, ages 4 and 2) are moving out of state. He grew up here. She didn't. We have helped out whenever we were asked, and usually things are civil. It has gotten back to us that she tells everyone that we "will see the grandkids after they move as often as we do now." We wanted to see them more, but after being made to feel unwelcome or all we did or said was wrong, and not to mention the fact that the 3 children are usually screaming most of the time, we did not visit a lot, but we did visit. They have been to our home twice in 2 years and we live 5 miles from them. They came and swam in our pool when they knew we were gone. We hear from them when there is a problem or a crisis and they need help. Our son was very ill with a back problem last year and all of us pitched in with child care, laundry, and cooking. We were a very close family. She left her home in her 20's and has moved more than 5 times. My dilemma is - Do I talk with our son and let him know how this is hurting us, especially me, or do I just keep quiet and smile through my tears? After I found out about the move, I did say I hated to see them leave town and that it was going to be very sad. He had very little to say. It just feels that she is getting him away from his family. So far, she has manipulated him out of our church, a very good job (where he was working withhis brother-in-law) and now out of his home town. I realize he is going along, but I doubt I would fight her if I had to liver with her. I know that it is their choice to move, but it is the feelings that are between us that is making it so hard. I love my son and am going to miss him very much. He left the area once before for a job promotion, but came back within 2 years. He was single then. I have a problem with depression and I am afraid this is going to send me over the edge. Help!!!

Back