Islam or Buddhism: which religion is more peaceful?

Let's look at a few verses from the Quran:

Quran 8:7: "Allah wished to confirm the truth by His words: 'Wipe the infidels out to the last.'" Quran 47:4: "Strike off the heads of the disbelievers" and, after making a "wide slaughter among them, carefully tie up the remaining captives." Quran 9:5: "When the sacred forbidden months for fighting are past, fight and kill the disbelievers wherever you find them, take them captive, torture them, and lie in wait and ambush them using every stratagem of war." Quran 8:12: "Your Lord inspired the angels with the message: 'I will terrorize the unbelievers. Therefore smite them on their necks and every joint and incapacitate them. Strike off their heads and cut off each of their fingers and toes.'" Ishaq:327: "Allah said, 'A prophet must slaughter before collecting captives. A slaughtered enemy is driven from the land. Muhammad, you craved the desires of this world, its goods and the ransom captives would bring. But Allah desires killing them to manifest the religion.'" Quran 9.29" "Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection." Quran 8:59: "The infidels should not think that they can get away from us. Prepare against them whatever arms and weaponry you can muster so that you may terrorize them. They are your enemy and Allah's enemy." Quran 8:60: "Prepare against them whatever arms and cavalry you can muster

And this is a religion of peace? Someone's been lying to us.

These are the Five Pillars of Islam: brb(i need a new computer)
1. Shahadah is professing one-ness of Allah and accepting Prophet Muhammad as his messenger to humanity. This is done by saying the following in Arabic:

"There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad is his messenger"

2. Salah: The second pillar of Islam is Salah , the requirement to pray 5 times a day at fixed times during the day.

3. Zakaat or alms-giving, is the practice of charitable giving by Muslims based on accumulated wealth, and is obligatory for all who are able to do so. It is also considered a blessing and duty to accept charity when one is in need.

4. Fasting (Saum)
The month of Ramadan is the month of fasting in Islam. It is an act of worship where the faithful follower denies his own needs and seeks Allah. Usually, this fasting entails no drinking, eating during, or sexual relations during the daylight hours for the entire month of Ramadan.

5. Pilgrimage (Hajj)
This is the pilgrimage to Mecca. All Muslims, if they are able, are to make a pilgrimage to Mecca. It involves financial sacrifice and is an act of worship. Muslims must make the pilgrimage the first half of the last month of the lunar year.

Notice none of the pillars have anything to do with bombing or killing.

These are the Five Precepts of Buddhism:
I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from ...

...harming living beings.
...taking things not freely given.
...sexual misconduct.
...false speech.
...intoxicating drinks and drugs causing heedlessness.

Both religions teach kindness toward others, mindfulness, right conduct, and neither religion teaches violence.

Do not make the mistake of judging a religion by the actions of it's followers. The followers are human, and stray, as in any and every religion, political party, relationship, and any other alliance man has created. We're human, we do these things.

when is the last time a buddhist has flown a plane into a building or suicide bombed a bus full of innocent people?

There's no such thing as a Buddhist fundamentalist.

Buddhism is probably the most peaceful of all the religions, and it is the one I have the most respect for.

Most peaceful? That would be Buddhism, by a country mile.

There are English translations of the Quran available on the Internet. Try reading the Quran and you will remove all doubt that it is the second most violent bloodthirsty religion ever devised by man. (...after the Aztecs, who routinely cut people's still beating hearts out of their chests.) Don't take my word for it. Read the Quran with your own eyes, in your own language, and you will never again believe those shameless Muslim liars who claim that Islam is about peace.

Edit: Thanks, Nick.

Buddhism is - by far - the most peaceful of religions. Interesting it is an atheist relation.

Buddhism by far. They won't even kill flies or lice in their hair because they believe every living thing has a soul that can reach enlightenment. Buddhism forswears all violence, of any kind, toward anything.

A Buddhist extremist would just love everyone too much (if such a thing were possible.)

An Islamic extremist would....well....9/11.

They're both false religions and will not benefit a person. Buddhism is based on peace, but like I said both Islam and Buddhism are false, and will not benefit a person.

Islam. But they are provoked by people who want to bring them down.

Buddhists worship stone.

Fake.

EDIT: And it's not the religion itself. It's not responsible for people who do these things.

Yeah, after Islamic terrorists blew up a national landmark I had my doubts too. Actually, I can't remember a Buddhist doing anything harmful to anybody.

Every Religions teaching peace..
But Power,Cruelty & greediness's..
Twist their taught..
Taking advantage of the week one..
for their own selfishness.. Needs..

Historically Buddhism. But the basic teachings of the religions are equally peaceful. Just because some people don't follow don't follow that little footnote, it doesn't mean it is not there.

Back