Could I use JB Weld to fix a broken shock absorber bolt on my Jeep?

NathanF

Jun 16, 2008
I was trying to remove my rear shock absorbers on my Cherokee, and sure enough the lower nut holding the bottom of the shock onto the axle snapped off (even with tons of PB Blaster). The problem is that the nut attaches to a threaded stud that is a solid piece attached to a piece of metal welded onto the axle housing. I have two options. First option is to break off the stud, drill a hole through where it attaches and use a machine-grade nut and bolt. Probably the best option, right?

Option two: I can put the shock back on and use JB weld to reattach the nut/stud that is broken off. I know it's not ideal.

Would this last me any amount of time at all? I can't weld it myself. I don't want to drive it somewhere to have it welded on. I'm at a loss, it's my daily driver and I'm screwed. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Has anyone used JB weld for anything similar to this? Any opinions would be great! Thanks!

I do not believe JB weld will actually hold that together for very long., if at all. You will need to drill the old bolt out and fix it correctly. No short cut this time. Sorry.

Back