Check Historic Accuracy: (Gettysburg and Lincoln's Speech)?

tttNikkiGG_16&9ttt

Nov 1, 2008
I'm writing a essay about Gettysburg and Lincoln's Speech.It must answer the questions: What message did the Gettysburg Address communicate to our war-torn nation in 1863? How are the ideals articulated in the speech still relevant today?...If anyone can revise it or check the historic accuracy, that would be good. Thanks!
“Throughout the fields of wheat and corn, across the orchards, over the hillsides, amid the trees – everywhere was the evidence of death: a shoe here, a belt buckle there, a dented canteen, a tattered vest, a torn picture of a child – scraps of men’s lives scattered to the winds. The men themselves were no more that mounds in the earth now, mounds with wooden markers and penciled epitaphs upon them – inscriptions bleached by the sun, washed by the rain, hardly visible anymore: name, rank, unit.” People were tired of the fighting, death, and sorrow of themselves and everyone around them. In spite of this, Lincoln managed to say a wonderful speech explaining the true significance of the battle and meaning of the Civil War. His speech affected all those who heard it; even now, his speech is considered one of the single greatest.
On July 1st, 1863, General George Gordon Meade leading 90,000 North men met Robert E. Lee with 75,000 South men. The South took the town, but the North got the high points. On July 3rd, the Confederates, under General Pickett and Pettigrew, charged the High Water Mark and failed. The next day, Lee retreated from Gettysburg, and it was won by the North. This battle was very important because it was the first won after losses and losses. However, people still didn’t understand exactly why we were fighting.
To honor the many dead, a cemetery was made. Lincoln was even asked to speak. He usually declined such events, but this battle was especially important to him, so he went, although two of his sons were dead, and his other son was sick. He even spent time talking to the designer of the cemetery to better understand the layout. Lincoln wanted to ensure this battle was a great triumph, as well as define the purpose of the war.
Lincoln’s speech told the meaning of the battle and of the Civil War. He explained that the War was not only a test of the Union’s strength, to end slavery and give human freedom, but also the final test of principles for democracy, which the soldiers gave their ultimate sacrifice for. He also introduced nationalism – loyalty and devotion to our country as a whole. With his great speech, Lincoln made the North understand the true significance of the Civil War.
When he first gave his speech, spectators were surprised because it was so short. They gave no sign of approval because the audience was so awe-struck and deeply moved. People were so taken aback and inspired by the brevity and emotional power of his impressive, thrilling speech, they could not even respond. Lincoln’s speech was definitely not what was expected and most could not put in words the passion they felt.
Because of the silence, Lincoln thought his speech was a failure, but Edward Everett, the main speaker, said, “I should be glad if I could flatter myself that I came as near as the central idea of the occasion in two hours, as you did in two minutes.” A newspaper later asked, “Could the most elaborate and splendid oration be more touching, more inspiration, than those thrilling words of the president?” Even a Union officer remarked, “…I was standing almost immediately over the place where I had lain and seen my comrades torn in fragments by the enemy’s cannonballs – think them, if you please, how these words fell on my ears. If at that moment, the Supreme Being had appeared to me with an offer to undo my past life, give me a body free from the remembrance even of past and those that must necessarily embitter all of the years to come, I should have indignantly spurned the offer, such was the effect of this immortal dedication.” Even now, all of our roads lead back to Gettysburg. America might still be split in two, if Lincoln hadn’t managed to convey the exactly meaning of the war.
The message and ideals that the Gettysburg Address expressed are still relevant today. America is all about democracy, freedom, unity, and nationalism; those are what we are taught, sing songs about, and are inspired by in school. These values were important especially since September 11, 2001 when terrorists tried to destroy U.S.A, but through our nationalism, our loyalty only grew more united.
In spite of the fighting, death, and sorrow for everyone around him, Lincoln still managed to say a wonderful speech explaining the significance of the battle and meaning of the Civil War, whose ideals were relevant to our war-torn nation and even today. Abraham Lincoln’s speech explained the war was not only a test of the Union’s strength, to end slavery and give human freedom, but also the final test of principles for democracy. Lincoln believed tat if the North lost, it would show a fai
Lincoln believed that if the North lost, it would show a failure of democracy and untiy. He also introduced nationalism, loyalty and evotion to out country as a whole, leaving people shocked by the depth of his brief speech. The message communicated is still relevant today – America is all about democracy, human freedom, and nationalism. This is why Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address became known as one of the nation’s single greatest speeches.

Back