Longest time without sleep?

38 hours, after about 34 i hit a new PR in the front squat

had a 24hour sleep after and took a few days to recover. not worth not sleeping

36 hours, when I had to come back home from the UK and I had a messy travelling schedule.
I had drunk lots of energy drinks so no problems for the first 24 hours, after that I started to feel very fatigued, slow and as if I perceived everything with some delay...a sort of real world lag plus a bonus headache, super-appetite and the heart beating like mad.

Anyway I'm quite curious about experimenting with sleep depriving, those who have tried reported really weird states of mind.
But damn, I'm afraid no sleep & I will become very close friends as soon as I start university

About 63 hrs, flew from Australia to the UK but got detained then sent back home, It didn't affect me too badly cause I was quite annoyed over the whole thing but I think I slept for like a day and a half when I finally got home, definitely agree with Zaad though, long hrs without sleep isn't worth it.

About four of five days back in the 90's. wasn't uncommon then
You get very 'spaced out' that's about all I remember, you certainly knew about it but too many other things contributing to the chaos to know for sure

Dont remember how many hours, think it was 24 hours and I had to go into work, night shift roving security guard at a luxurious beach condo. I swear I hallucinated that night from the lack of sleep, I would have to clear the pool area make sure no one is hanging out or swimming, in each beach/ lawnchair thing around the pool, I would see someone laying back on it, and I would get ready to walk up to them and say "Im sorry (sir/ma'm) the pool is closed" and I would get right up to the "person" and its just a beach chair empty, but this kept happening since I had to circle the entire pool area, after the 2nd time "it" fooled me, the next one I saw I thought to myself "ok this time it has GOT to be a real person" ... it wasnt.

Either that or the place was haunted since it was an old peoples mainly residence and many would die in there , on a beautiful beach.

Around 72 hours. In my teen years, playing secret of mana on the Snes.
Ended up hallucinating and went to sleep, for a
Looong time.

I think it was 48 or so hours. How did it affect me? I think it just made my brain going into a different mode like my subconscious was running me. Oddly enough, when I finally went to sleep... it was only for about 3 or 4 hours, but now I cannot remember why I was up for that amount of time.

There was this one time I had to wear steel toe boots for 72 hours straight and every time I started dozing off a person would slam a medicine ball on my stomach and then I would be asked a strange question. It was a long 72 hours and my feet really hurt afterwards.

About 3 days. I was in Hong Kong working like 3 jobs, Production Assistant for a Production Company, Background extra (for the money) and a general personal assistant.

I took 2 big jobs at the same time, one working nights and other during the day. I may have napped for 2mins now and then between train journeys.

But by the end of it, I got 4 days off and pretty much slept through like 2 days.

Now I work a lot of variable 24hr shifts, and its not uncommon for me to stay up like 20-30hrs a day at some points.

Approx. 36 hours. Last year or maybe the year before, I stayed up all night doing something (I don't remember now what I was working on), and then I continued throughout the day's normal schedule. And then after dinner I crashed.

I thought it'd be cool staying up like that. I thought it'd be no problem. Wrong. Like other people said, staying up that long is not good for the body. I haven't done it since.

I think it was 36 hours or so. Moviemarathon.
We rented 10 action movies, and had one extra. We watched 2 movies, and then we took a break to go to the movie theatre to watch the current hot action movie. And then we got back and watched the remaining ones back to back. Every second movie, we'd have a break, make fries and sausage, and then continue.

The other slackers all skipped one or 2 movies, but I persevered.

After we were through, I helped my friend clean up, and I do remember that for some reason, suddenly everything became hilarious and we started laughing with each others silliness like beavis and butthead. That was sleep deprivation.

Good times...
My brother and I played that game through. He was the one main character with the sword, and I was the midget spell caster. It was a great game.

Sixty-something hours, on a combination bender/poorly designed self-experiment at University. I started hearing my name called from behind me every couple of minutes, seeing non-existent people standing in my peripheral vision and shivering a lot. I slept for twelve hours or so and felt fine afterwards.

A week.

I get chronic sore throats every year that make it impossible to sleep. Each time I went a week without sleep.

we're lucky though. I feel bad for people that have FFI, fatal familial insomnia. If I had that I would have been asking for a jack kevorkian. I read up on it and the longest survival time when symptoms emerge is 3 years. And you don't sleep. For usually about 18 months, but 3 years is the longest.

My record shift working is 24 hours, midnight till midnight so there's an extra days sleep missed out there.

Before final deadlines at uni I did a few all nighters then worked all day too so that was about 2-3 days. It really sucks, it's bad for you, physically and mentally.

I remember a few parties lasting 2 or so days and nights but I guess we were, ermm assisted into wakefulness.

A bit past sixty hours.

Combination of children, touring with the band, and peak marking season at work. To anyone I marked during that very 'interesting' period, sorry, or maybe, you should think yourself lucky.....

One very, very strange experience. The scary thing is that when I did finally go to sleep it was back stage, around about two meters away from one of the speaker stacks. I was sort of vibrated into a deep coma :)

paul

Back