Any advice on how to handle hearing your parent having sex?

Ashanti

Jul 3, 2008
This my seem sort of odd, but about 5-6 years ago while at my father's house for the weekend I experienced one if the worst things any 11-12 year old could experience. I don't live with my dad ( mom has full custody of me) but every now and then, I would spend the night. One the first night (Friday), everything was fine and nothing went wrong. But on the second night he asked me if I could sleep on the couch because his girlfriend was coming over. I didn't think much of it because at my age it wasn't something you talked about and my mom and her boyfriend of like 7 years share the same bed. I told him i would and he then got me set up on the couch and left me out in the living room to hang with his girlfriend(He lived in a one bedroom apartment). I then fell asleep for a bit and then woke up to thing like moaning and screaming and banging. I was so shaken up that i just sat there and tried to go back to sleep. Because me trying to fall back asleep wasn't working, i had to sit through it all. Because i had some sort of respect for my dad even though he didn't give a crap about me, i didn't have the courage to get up or bang on the walls. When i did return home it took me about a week to telly mom about what happened that weekend. And ti this day it still eats me alive whenever i think about it any advice

Why don't you talk to your dad and mention it?
Btw I don't think you'll get over this for quite a few years.

Back