Converting to Judaism?

Sophia

May 22, 2008
I would really like to convert to Judaism and I am aware that I would have to be extremely commited, learn hebrew and find out more about the Jewish community.

Anybody who has converted, could you tell me about what you had to do? I know it's very difficult but I would like to know more.

Also I'm a teenage girl.

It's not actually difficult, but it is time consuming. Most of the process involves learning which is one of the many benefits of Judaism. If you're not interested in study and learning about Judaism, forget about it. Another reason that it takes at least a year is that you participate in at least one cycle of holidays. The first year was totally confusing to me, I felt a bit more comfortable the 2nd year, and finally felt at home the 3rd year. If you don't like traditions and rituals, forget about Judaism.

No, you don't have to learn Hebrew, but you will probably want to join others in following along in your Torah as others chant from the bimah and eventually you might even participate in the service.

Again, the process is not "difficult," but if it's something you dread rather than anticipate, forget about Judaism.

It's not actually difficult, but it is time consuming. Most of the process involves learning which is one of the many benefits of Judaism. If you're not interested in study and learning about Judaism, forget about it. Another reason that it takes at least a year is that you participate in at least one cycle of holidays. The first year was totally confusing to me, I felt a bit more comfortable the 2nd year, and finally felt at home the 3rd year. If you don't like traditions and rituals, forget about Judaism.

No, you don't have to learn Hebrew, but you will probably want to join others in following along in your Torah as others chant from the bimah and eventually you might even participate in the service.

Again, the process is not "difficult," but if it's something you dread rather than anticipate, forget about Judaism.

You don't need to know Hebrew I'm a orthodox Jew (from brith) and I barely know Hebrew and I even go to religious Jewish schools

Back