I bought some extension cables to move my tv/sattelite to the other side of...

carlie

May 14, 2008
...the sittingroom (F to F cables).? Anyway, it said there is no cable signal so disconnected the cable and re-screwed it in. There was a gold wire that was in scew and so moved it with my finger into position (yes, I realise I should have turned the plug off first). From then I have had some tingling in my finger and now get shocks off electrical things like phones and my laptop when I carry it. Will this pass or what do I do???

If the wire was the dish end there would be no voltage on it, if it was from the satellite receiver end there would be an 18V DC maximum voltage on the cable. Not really enough for a shock. More likely you may have a tiny splinter of wire in your finger that needs removed. Have a look at it under a magnifying glass and a bright light.

Satellite receivers sometimes provide a reverse power source to power the LNB (amp on the satellite dish), it is low voltage and on the cable line coming to/from the satellite dish. I suspect that that is what you feel. It is NORMAL when you touch the exposed wire center conductor wire.

If you have it hooked back up and feel tingling through the wire you have something shorted from the ground (braid) wire to the center conductor wire. Probably a bad F81 connector. That need to be checked, as that is NOT normal.

Back