What part do i need and moreso a diy for my vw ignition?

Steve

May 11, 2008
My key wont stay in the on position. If I sit and very carefully try over and over with the gentlest touch it will eventually stick then there are no issues, unless I hit a big bump it flips the key back Im thinking a worn out lock and tumbler...? I saw a q&a for the same thing on a '70 bug but don't know if it would be the same deal, I have a 1997 Passat vr6. Part, procedure or both anything helps!

Also my alarms are bypassed due to the two wire harnesses unplugged by the drivers side door behind the dash. Previous owners doings. If I plug them back in the alarm goes off, and goes off, and goes off... no matter what, started, off, doors open, doors closed, pulled/reconnected battery cables. I hear you just need to flip the your door key back and forth a few times. but I don't have a door key... previous owners doings.

I suck at when it comes to electrical.

So to start driving my car, I have to f*$% with the key for a good five minutes, then once that's good and stays put I have to jam my hands under the dash to hotwire two wires from one connection to the other, which i might ad is lots of fun when your 6'5" in a b4 vw... not to mention in the dark...

All sorts of door handle issues as well...

I know its a lot but these are things I've overlooked for almost 2 years now so I figure its time to start fixing cosmetics n electrical rather than upgrading motor and body
Thanks!

Back