Help! My Laptop Won't Turn On At All!?

FlipDude

Nov 10, 2011
So I have a Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4829...
With Windows Vista Home Premium and I've been using it for three years...
With 250 GB Hard Drive and 4 GB RAM and I didn't upgrade the Operating System, RAM, Hard Drive, Graphic Cards, Motherboard or anything like that...
The last time I used this was yesterday night and I was doing research for my school...
Anyway, this morning I plugged in my laptop and pressed the power button...
The screen stays black (no light) and there was no any display...
I tried plugging my VGA cable to my TV, projector, etc. and there was no display....
I pressed the "Caps Lock" key and there was no Caps Lock light...
All the light I see is the Power Button and the charging light...
But there is no light on the mute button, play button, pause button, stop button and more...
I hear a fan and the sound when I turn on my laptop. So it's like turn on...
I never touch inside the laptop or attempt to open the inside of my laptop...
Is this a Hard Drive failure? A motherboard failure?
I just want my laptop to turn on and work normally...
Actually today is the day I'm planning to reset my laptop to its factory default because I'm giving away my laptop. But now, it's ruined...
What a coincidence. Help...

Didn't read half that crap.
Anyway...The side buttons a little loose on mine, so what i do is tilt the screen up and down to move it a little while spamming it, to help it rehit its target.

A good Laptop:

Unplug
Remove battery
wait 10 secs
Install Battery
Plug in
Start
It never really reboots unless you remove ALL power

maybe your ribbon cable has got pinched or somehow gotten loose. i have a macbook pro and mine would turn on but wouldnt let me log on.. it was my hard drive/operating system.. if you still wanna give it away you can give it to me haha lol

This could be loads of faults but try removing any extra memory cards and see if that makes a difference. Possibly the graphics card has failed. If the mobo fails, you normally wouldnt see the power indicator lit up

Odds are the screen just got disconnected if you can still hear the fan running. - My friend has a Toshiba and this has happened to her a few times...all she had to do was plug the screen back in...well actually my husband who is an IT Professional did it...but Should be an easy fix if you have someone that knows computers. Otherwise - Geek Squad can fix it for less than a new laptop would cost someone.

Press F8 repeatedly at start up to enter start options chose safe mode back up every thing of importance.
Do a system recovery or repair using the recovery disc set made for he laptop or use the built in system recovery to install a new copy of Vista. Usually you get a error message that no boot devise found and or a cable is unplugged when a hard drive fails.
How to restore your Toshiba laptop PC to its factory fresh software condition
https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletinDetail.jsp?soid=2737864&pf=true

I would open it up and make sure nothing is disconnected from your motherboard in terms of wires or anything because that sounds like the issue

the same happened to me, and its the bulb. there is a bulb in ur laptop... try to shine a flash light into ur computer and if u c the screen then its fine u just need to call tobisha and have some1 help u and replace the buld,

good luck

I'd guess it's going to be a motherboard failure. The most common problem with a laptop is that the power supply goes to hell, which on a laptop means the motherboard is kaput. There are a few things you can try:

1. Make sure your power cord is working. When you plug it in, does the light come on the power supply box attached to the power cord? If not, your fix may simply be a $10 power cord. Or the wall socket you're using might be bad. Try another.

2. Try pressing and holding your power button for 15 seconds. Then let up and press it again to turn on the computer.

3. Do you have a way to externally charge your battery? If so, try that, then insert the battery and use it to power your computer.

4. If your fan is bad, the computer might not turn on. But you'll have to actually open the computer to see that. You may have to find a local service place to look at it. It usually costs $75 to have it diagnosed at a reasonable place. However, be prepared. If it's the motherboard, it'll cost $250 or so to fix, so you'd be better off asking them to get your info off your hard drive and buying a new laptop. Three years is pretty good life for a laptop, and it's probably time for a new one anyway.

Sell it online for scrap man or parts, because anything you put into this thing to fix it, will not be worth the trouble.

Back