is my car audio system too much for my alternator?

BlakeReece

Jun 15, 2010
I want to add two 500watt amps to power 2 seperate 12" subwoofers. the total amperage of the 2 amps is about 120a(30ax4) i have a 105a alternator. will this system run off of my stock alternator. i also plan on putting 6 kc lights on it later. there 100a a piece. im not sure if you add them all of up do i need to just buy amps and lighting with amperage under 105? please help i really need to learn this stuff!!!!
remember i said 2 separate amps and 2 separate subs.

If you're running 2 amps I'd recommend an upgraded alternator. Hell, I'd recommend it even on a 200w system. It never hurts to have more. They're not too expensive, and give you that extra boost needed whenever you power anything that's more than stock on your vehicle. You're better off buying an upgraded alternator and being able to have the sound you want, rather than a sound short of what you want due to the lack of power.

running all the items your talking about,amps lights two 12 inch subs,you will need an upgrade on your alternator. more amp output to your battery and a capacitor that stores energy for your amps and lighting.save your money,your going to need some.good luck.and the amp you have don't put out enough power to power 2 12 inch subs.watts don't mean sht,look at the RMS rating on all equipment subs and amps.the RMS rating is the true power an amp gives per channel,and a subwoofer can handle.the bigger the better,check and see what your subs can handle.its on the magnet.if you don't find an RMS rating that means its not rated equipment so its crap,stay away.good luck.

Back