flea bites can transfer worms to dogs and cats. if you get a flea bite can...

frankthebunny

May 24, 2011
...you get worms too? i have three dogs and two cats. i treat all my pets regularly for fleas and worms. i treat the fleas with "spot on" for fleas and certain worms and "frontline" (for fleas, mites ans ticks only doesn't treat worms)

i treat my cats once ever 8 to 12 weeks and my dogs get their treatment every 12 weeks. i do sleep with one of my cats a lovely main coon mix and i have found that i have had a few flea bites only one or two and only ever on my legs. my boyfriends never gets bitten!!

i know you have to switch up the flea remedies every now and again to insure their effectiveness but my vet does that for me she keeps track of my pets past flea treatments.

i have noticed that even after treating my cats i have seen one or two fleas on them 2 weeks later. do fleas still temporarily live (like even for only an hour or two) on your cats until the flea remedies kick in and effect the fleas???

and if fleas can transmit worms to cats and dogs can they do the same to people? could i have worms from flea bites.

oh i regularly vacuum and have no carpets in my home. i even leave a flea collar in my vacuum to kill any flea eggs or fleas that i might hoover up if they are indoors. but how can they be?? i am the most care-full person i know when it comes to treating my pets for fleas and worms.

I may have misunderstood but it looks like you're doubling up on flea treatment in your first sentence.

This can result in overdose. Flea treatment is pretty harmful stuff. Like nerve agent used in chemical warfare. Safe in the right dosage but harmful if over exposed.

Review your treatment regime.

And use a regular wormer tablet on all pets.

You're very confused. Flea bites don't transfer worms it's the INGESTION of a flea. The tapeworm larvae can be inside a flea so when a cat or dog licks its fur it can ingest the flea. The larvae then grows in its intestinal track, suctions onto the intestinal lining and then grows and grows.

I don't know what "Spot On" is but don't use it. Storebought crap like that not only doesn't work but they can make your cat VERY sick. You're also overdosing your pets by using two different medications. And I've heard that Frontline doesn't work well on cats. It seems the fleas have built up an immunity to it.

Only use Advantage or Revolution. These products need to be applied MONTHLY - not every three months. And it can actually take several days - even a week - to kill all the fleas in your home once the medication is applied.

And FYI - very unlikely your cat is a "Maine Coon mix" when breeders tend to sell kittens altered and never allow crossbreeding. It's simply a domestic - a cat of no particular breed just like over 97% of the cats on this entire planet.

Back