Would a piece of meat still be ok if traveled into the future?

Dylan

May 21, 2008
If you had a time machine could you get a piece of meat (use before 5 day) or any item and you go into time 50 years, Would the piece of meat be ok? Like would it be mouldy and unable to eat or since you are traveling to a specific point in time so the time will be instant would it still have 5 days before you have to use it?

We are having a debate and I think theoretically it would be ok.

Well, it depends on what you mean by time travel. I am travelling forward in time right now, but I age 50 years for every 50 years I travel. If I were travelling close to the speed of light, I could travel maybe 5 days into the future according to my own personal clock. But everything travelling much slower would have gone, say, 50 years into the future, and I would have actually have been travelling for 50 years by their clocks. But I would have only aged 5 days, because time for me would be slowed way down.

So if I were to "travel forward" using relativistic effects, like the one I just described (time dilation), then yes, a piece of meat I took with me would only age a few days by its own clock, while going years forward in time by someone else's clock.

However much the meat ages, you age as well. You are, after all, essentially a piece of meat :D

Back