Worst places to live in the UK 2007

Rock City is awesome, if you could pick it up and move it to a nicer city, say Baghdad or Mogadishu then it would be even better.

I don't suck on any part of homosexuals, thank you very much!

Man

I think I'm the only American on this thread, so let me be the first to say:

I love America.

Suprised to see Birkenhead not in the list, a few years back one of the national rags classed it as the poorest area in the country.

Some niceish areas but over all its a pretty grim place to fair!

It had the Drome and the Basement ..........................................Ok you have a point they where rough, great clubs though.

Ok there's a link, good clubs = bad cities

Nottingham simply isn't that bad. Cite your sources.

Nottingham is NOT assassination city
According to Home Office figures, the number of recorded homicides per head of population in Nottinghamshire in 2003/04 was only fractionally above the national average and lower than no fewer than nine other areas, including West Yorkshire, Cumbria and Humberside.
Nottingham is NOT the gun crime capital of the UK
In 2003/04 Nottinghamshire had less than half the number of recorded firearm offences in Merseyside. There were five times as many in the West Midlands and Greater Manchester. Per head of population, Nottinghamshire’s rate was actually the fifth highest. This year, there have been 3 firearms incidents. Two years ago there were 66, but a coordinated effort to cut crime and deliver improvement is bringing exceptional results and a plummeting rate of gun crime.
Nottingham is NOT the most violent place in Britain
In 2003/04 the number of recorded violence against the person offences per head of population in Nottingham was lower than in 17 other Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnership areas, including Blackpool, Peterborough and Hull. Taken from here

Liverpool is a cracking night out and an ace city with a ton of stuff to do. But God alive it's got some bits that make most of Nottingham look like Kindergarten.

Mitch

Ah, but these days the security is by proper bouncers.

Remember the days when it was done by real Hell's Angels?.....those were the days

To be fair I think I have never seen a fight there, and I must have been to several hundred gigs at that place.

Ever frequented the Skyy club in Radford? Dunno if it's still there but it was very er....herbal! I had a bizzare night once when I was invited to an after party. Got in a taxi with a couple of young ladies ended up in the Meadows. I ended up in what can only be described as an "OMG I'm the only whiteboy in a crackhouse full of yardies" situation. Oops!

LOL Mitch, I'm sure you guys can make it number one if you try hard enough

To be fair, in all my 40years, the most crime & violence that ever happened to me was in Nottinghamshire! And that's nothing to do with turning up at the wrong parties .

Mind you I did live in a few of the least salubious areas which could explain things.

However, my flatmate was an A&E nurse at QMC and at that time shootings were rife, as were glassings and stabbings.

C'MON! I'LL FIGHT ANYONE FOR A QUID!

I've never had any trouble in Nottingham, I was burgled 3 times in 6 months in Leeds.

A huge amount depends on where in a given city you live and how much of a muppet you are.

I've lived in rough areas and been burgled but never mugged because I'm careful.

I've seen people turn harmless situations into something else by being a muppet.

Nottingham has a very high student(drunken muppet) to normal person population...

Mitch

Probably a fair point. I think Nottingham actually has the largest student population in the UK. Plenty of annoying easy targets.

I also confess to a little drunken muppetry myself, that and my ability to end up in completely random and bizzare situations.

However, my cars and bikes that were stolen were completely sober.

Also, the worst attack-attempted mugging-happened when my girfriend and I returned to my flat after watching a film. It happened in the literally 5 yards between my car and front door.

I did actually last a good 5 years with no bother whatsoever in Nottingham, but then I had a couple of years when so much happened that I though 'sod this' and moved away.

Back