Why Won't My Laptop Play DVD's?

mrsrickman_forever

Dec 6, 2009
I'm having a problem with my laptop and I'd like some help. I was trying to watch a dvd on my laptop last night and for some weird reason it didn't play it. It was a brand new dvd too, (but I've gotten plenty of new dvd's that were rejects.) so to make sure it was my laptop and not the dvd, I put in one of my dvd's that I know is in perfect working condition. It's in my laptop right now. And when I put it in I could hear the little 'growling' noise my laptop makes when it's reading a dvd. However, the menu for me to play my dvd didn't appear. The dvd drive is still there on the My Computer menu, and when I went thru the troubleshooting program...two of them to be exact, neither of them detected any problems. And what's really strange is that when I put a cd in the same compartment, the cd's autoplay menu will come up just fine. What could be the problem? Please help! Thanks! (No need for websites or troubleshooters. I already tried all that.)
* I have a Windows 7
*I have played dvd's on my laptop before.
@Michael yes, I got a response. I put in a South Park dvd I was watching earlier today and the drive showed up like this DVD RW Drive (D:) SP14_D3

I'm not exactly sure, but i can take a guess. You didn't say anything about if you've played dvd's on it before so have you? and if not can your optical drive even read dvd's? I would assume so since you have windows 7 so it would probably be new enough, but idk. My other guess would be there is that your optical drive is broken in some way, but not exactly sure how...

Sorry if this didn't help, but not sure what else to say...

Go to the little file tab at the bottom and go to computer, you have a icon called DVD drive, put a DVD drive into the DVD drive and tell me if you get a response from the drill at all

Back