Why do people come into the Mercedes Benz area and suggest buying a Lexus?

diana

May 18, 2008
We are here to ask questions about Mercedes Benz - not to get suggestions on other cars to buy. Why would someone assume that someone who would own a Mercedes would own a piece of crap like a Lexus? If you do not know the answer to a questions about Mercedes, then please do not answer and go answer questions in an area you DO know. If you had even owned a Mercedes you would know why we love them so much.
The reason I ask is because every time I ask a question about one of my Mercedes - someone answers that "well - I don't know much about Mercedes but why don't you buy a Lexus?'. Duh. I just get sick of it.
I already have 4 Mercedes and they are cheap to insure and to repair. They got a bad rap long ago.
Wisdom ??? (glad you have those question marks). Again - this is a Mercedes forum. Find somewhere else to peddle your Japanese cars. I have not had my 1990 W1234 in the shop for 4 years. Just had the front brakes done ($250 including rotors). My other 3 Mercedes have also had no major problems. Maybe I have been lucky but your sweeping generalizations about Mercedes are ignorant, at best. Sounds like you had a bad experience and want to try and ruin it for everyone else. Give it a rest.

I own a Mercedes and its great. However, the moment it moves out of warranty and when things break (like normal cars do) the cost of maintaining a Mercedes is ridiculous. This is probably why people are telling you to go buy a Lexus.

All in all, I'm kind of confused about what you are asking.

Lexus owners are the iDouches of the automotive world, they believe their cars are infallible and won't require any maintenance. They resent us because, at the end of the day they're still driving a Toyota.

First of all, Lexus are not pieces of 'crap' like you suggested and that shows you have never driven one. If you don't like them, that's fine. But you do not have the right to call them that. They are some of the finest cars ever built and you should at least respect them. If you don't believe me, look at the awards won by the Lexus LS. And if you do a little reseach, you will find that all Lexus have won a multitude of awards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LS_awards_list

Most Mercedes do have reliability issues. Nearly every one of mine did. Whether it was engine trouble or a broken air conditioner, they were always in the service bay. My Lexus on the other hand, have never been in the service bay for anything besides regular maintenance.

Just to let you know, the newer Mercedes aren't nearly as reliable as the older ones. The introduction of Lexus in 1989 caused Mercedes to cut costs and lower their quality so their prices would be closer to their competitors. They also had to come up with a lot of technology that hadn't been properly designed to justify the higher price tag. That poorly designed technology then broke and is why many people criticize Mercedes. Another possible reason for Mercedes' below average reliability could have been their merge with Chrysler back in 1998. When a German quality giant marries an American econo-box builder disaster is waiting to happen. Some of Mercedes' least reliable cars were born during that era. DaimlerChrylser eventually split in 2007. Merc's quality and reliability are gradually getting better and has improved greatly over the last few years.

And if some one is asking about purchasing a Mercedes, I will sometimes suggest a Lexus because I feel like they are better cars. They're typically more reliable, more comfortable, and have a smoother ride. And you may find that hard to believe, but until you drive a Lexus LS you won't understand. That car has the smoothest and most quiet engine I have ever heard. Ride quality is amazing and the technology is astonishing. Now that many other manufacturers have copied them it's not as big a deal, but the Lexus LS debuted many world's first innovations. To name a few: Advanced Parking Guidance System, 8-speed Automatic Transmission, Advanced Active Front Headrests, and Advanced Pre-Collision System w/ Driver Attention Monitor. Not to mention the world's first prestige luxury hybrid, the LS600h L, which is also the world's first full V8 hybrid.

The next time some one suggests a Lexus, just know that they're probably trying to be helpful. Don't take it as a cut to MB. Lexus and Mercedes are both excellent vehicles and neither one of them deserve to be bashed for no apparent reason.

Because they think mercedes people would love the unintended acceleration features of the lexus. Instant autobahn.

Back