Why did Ford quit putting 5.0 liters in Mustang GTs?

Jamie

May 11, 2008
My 05 GT has a newer verison of the 4.6-liter V8, now with a lightweight aluminum block and other modifications for less weight and more power - as in 300 horsepower and 320 lb-ft of torque.

Just curoius about the reason for the switch and since I'm already on here, I figured there was no need to google it. Haha.
thanks dammuzi-
i was just very curious because i never had an answer to give everytime a guy says "my older mustang has a bigger engine than yours".

i think some guys just have problems with girls driving a V8 period. lol
formerfly- I know what you mean. I saw where it is "rumored" that the new Mustang GT in 2011 will have a 5.0L
Mustang is making sure it doesn't get outrun by the Camaro SS(422 and up HP) and the Challenger R/T (372 hp). Still just in print and nothing official from Ford, but I think it'd be pretty sweet.

You've basically just answered your own question. The 302 was a 4.9 liter. It was called a "5" to just make it an even number, so the change isnt quite as major as you think. Lower displacement tends to mean better gas mileage, not to mention the new 4.6 makes better power than the old 4.9. It's just newer with better technology.

It doesn't have anything to do with your question, but wait till you see what the 2011 Mustangs have. The V6 will have 305 HP and still deliver 28 MPG on the highway with a six speed transmission.

Back