Where does it say in the Bible or Talmud that a majority of Jews must live in...

polskajason

Mar 17, 2009
...Israel for there to be prophecy? I've read this on several Jewish sites, but where does it declare this as a rule in halakha? (i.e. what determines who is part of the canon of nevi'im and who is not?)
Here is one example:
http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsandjesus#2

I think it has to do with more than just having a majority of Jews in Israel.

I have heard the 3rd reason given. The religious leaders prayed for G-d to remove the temptation for idolatry from the earth. And with that, a lion appeared and bolted out of the Temple. And when the temptation to idolatry disappeared, so did true prophecy.

The primary job of a prophet was to arouse the people and the government to repentance and observance. The traditional view is that prophecy was removed from the world after the destruction of the First Temple. Those prophets who are mentioned after that were alive at the time of the destruction. Several explanations are offered for why prophets no longer exist:

1. The fact that the Jews did not heed the calls to repentance of the prophets showed that they were not worthy. When most of the Jews remained in exile after Ezra returned, they showed that they were still not worthy of that level of holiness. The second temple did not have the level of kedushah [holiness] of the first Temple even from the beginning.

2. This was actually a sign of G*d's mercy. Had the Jews had a prophet and continued to disobey (as was probable based on the behavior of the following centuries) even after the punishment of the exile, they would have merited complete destruction. Now they could say that had a prophet come they would have obeyed and thus mitigate the punishment (though some consider the current exile (i.e., the diaspora) to be harsh enough).

3. After the destruction of the first Temple the sages prayed for the removal of the "Evil Inclination" of idolatry. Since the world exists in a balance, the removal of the low point (idolatry) necessitated the removal of the high point (prophecy).

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/Prophets.html

The Men of the Great Assembly recognized that in their own lifetimes that era was coming to an end. The few remaining prophets were dying out in the beginning of their days -- not to be replaced. In many other ways as well, G-d's hand was no longer revealed to Israel as it had once been. The Second Temple did not house the Divine Presence in the same manner as the first (see Talmud Yoma 21b). At the same time, however, Torah study was flourishing and reaching new heights -- as foreseen by the Prophet Zachariah (4:1-6, see Talmud Sanhedrin 24a).

http://torah.org/learning/pirkei-avos/chapter1-1c.html#

I think the Jewish sites you have read are wrong. I have studied the Bible for years and that statement is alien to me.

I don't think you can call it a Halakha -- its not a law for men as in "do not prophesy"
Its more a statement of fact.
The Neviim had one sort of relationship with God, the people after the return from Babylon have a different sort of relationship (there is a sort of semi-Nevua called "Bas Kol" which is referenced quite a bit in the Gemarah)

> What determines who is part of the canon?

The canon was defined at the time of Ezra and Nehemiah.

Its just the basic fact of the Jewish historical classification system --

Back