What's the best grain AK-47 bullet for hunting whitetail?

NaturalSelector

Jun 14, 2010
I recently saw some 154 grain at a local gunstore, but all I had ever seen until then was 122, 123, and 124. Is this a better hunting round? Also, does it have a worse trajectory than lighter grains? Does it jump much worse, than say, a 124 grain? In your opinion, what grain should I choose for hunting between 100 and 400 yards?
G21, good point with the twist rates, and don't worry I know the limits of my rifle. I customize it a lot, and it is a little better than most. It has about a 2" MOA. That means at 400 yards, around 8" off. A whitetail's kill zone is 16", and trust me, it has the power to kill humanely at that range, if you hit the kill zone. Don't worry, I won't miss; not with the set-up me and my buddy have. You would have to be mentally impaired to miss from a 40 ft tall stand, with a window sill to prop your gun on, and a 16x scope. Besides, he has a R-700 .270 waiting to finish it if I miss.

Stick with the 124gr Super-X Soft point Ammo. delivering 2033fps @ 100yds. ( 7.62x39 is equivlant to 30-30 Win. ) The 7.62x39 is really only good at ranges below 200 yards. but where in the woods will you ever get a 400 yd shot anyway? Match the Rifle and Ammo to the conditions you'll be hunting in,
For all around Hunting, opt for 30-06, 308, or 7mm. in a non military Weapon

The weight of the bullet is plenty important. If it doesn't match the twist of the rifling you'll get really lousy long range accuracy. An AK's typical twist rate of 1:10 isn't going to do well with the heavier 154 grain bullets. Suggest you stay with the 120 + grain bullets.

PS: You don't want to be, 'popping off' at deer at 300 + yards. Apparently nobody's told you that what you have, there, in an AK is essentially a reasonably accurate 230-240 yard carbine - not more.

(Ignore the military ballistic charts, they're often overstated.)

the grain isn't as important as the ballistic tip of the bullet .get a good hollow point

Back