Whats it like living in a city?

BigRiver

Mar 20, 2009
Do you Like it or Loathe it?

If you live in a city, do you know what it is like to not live in a city?

What's it like living in a city. well it's like living in the country but with lot's more people and buildings. but no cow's or sheep come to that. i've tried living in the country, but it's so quiet there. and what's all this green stuff, what's that all about don't they know there's other colours. and all those funny smells. i like to get back to the city to get some real fresh air.

I've lived in Manchester, Leeds and Bradford. I was brought up in a small town, where I live now. I much prefer my life in a small place. Cities drive me nuts. There are benefits to a city, but I like that I can get out and enjoy the countryside without a stressful journey.

City living is so dirty. After a day in the city I can feel the grime on my skin and if I pick my nose it's full of bogies blackened by diesel particulates. The anonymity can be nice, but if you're feeling low, it can drag you down. All those seemingly stern faces.

The place I live has a lot of great tradition and the people can be great. Though sometimes they know me too much. Nobody has ever tried to burgle my house here. I had to live by the lock and key in the city. I'll never live in one again, not even Edinburgh.

After moving back here, it took me a while to adjust to the quiet at night. My street is usually really peaceful after about 9pm. In the city it's noise 24/7.

Both have there attractions and problems.

I live in an inner city, and it can be overcrowded with selfish people making life difficult for everyone else, yet getting to shops is very easy and entertainment is on your doorstep.

My wife comes from a small town with countryside at the end of her parents street with lovely country pubs and spectacular scenery on the doorstep, but shopping is a big problem, prices in the town are astronomical, as well as property. If you don't have a car it's impossible to do many things that are on your doorstep in a city.

My wife from the countryside loves the city, yet I enjoy the countryside, but would miss things like trips to the cinema.

I've lived in Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester & Salford.

Living in a city has a quickness about it and an atmosphere that is missing from smaller towns and villages. I spent some time living in Maidstone in Kent, and although I liked some things there, everything seemed small scale and people all seemed pretty much alike, not enough variety of ideas etc.

I like big city centres (Salford hasn't got one of course).

My wife's relatives all live in Ludlow, that's a nice place, I'd like to live there.

I just recently moved from a city to a small town. I hated living in the city, I only did it because it was closer to my job at the time. It was dirty and horrible and every time I stepped out my door it was busy. As a pedestrian I took my life into my hands every time I crossed the road because drivers in the city are so impatient. My boyfriend got offered a new job about 5 hours away and we jumped at the chance to move to the small town where he grew up.

I grew up in a tiny village so I guess I am a country girl at heart.

I loved it when I lived in a small city for convenience but enjoy country living more, I enjoy seeing and hearing nature at work...something much harder to see in a city full of machines

Love it ! I have lived in both , the city and the country side and I am a city girl through and through .

Coming from a tiny tiny country town in regional Australia , I was board and frustrated , nothing to do , no career progression , every body knows everybody etc . To be honest I hated it...

I have lived in big cities such as Tokyo , London , Firenze and Sydney and love it ! Always something to do , always new people , unlimited career opportunities , better fashion , more individuality .

hmm well livin in the city, its can be loud, but you get used to it. see a lot of people walking outside,cars, buses, etc etc. and yea I've lived in the suburbs before and its really nice, peaceful, and mostly sound. you dont see much people walking outside, they're mostly driving too.

I love living in a city, I like seeing lots of people and the general hustle and bustle, I love visiting the countryside but don't think I could live there, maybe when I'm older that will change.

I think anyone who's not living in a city when they're young are missing out.

I've lived in loads of cities (Manchester, Sydney, Liverpool, London), and also been lucky enough to get away from the city and live in more rural areas :eek:) I think the older I get, the more I'll move out of the city, into the suburbs (for kids) and then finally out to a little cottage when im old and frail :eek:)

Or I might just stay here :eek:\ and still be out raving till 5 in the morning at the age of 65! ;o) Who knows?

Edit@Chicco J: God I'm really envious of you girl, I really really wanna move to tokyo! :eek:( Just the language and lack of cash thats putting me off at the min :eek:)

Having done both, I would say that living in the countryside can be strangely claustrophobic because you are under constant observation by your neighbours all the time.

Paradoxically, the anonimity of city life is much more liberating.

Having done both, I would say that living in the countryside can be strangely claustrophobic because you are under constant observation by your neighbours all the time.

I moved from inner city Liverpool to a semi rural part of Wirral.

Be careful what you wish for....

I don't actually live in a city myself but i wouldn't like it if i did...

It's too busy, congested, polluted and everyone is running around like headless chickens...

I live in a town outside the city of london, its just as good and without the hustle and bustle of city life... :)

I moved from inner city Liverpool to a semi rural part of Wirral.

Be careful what you wish for....

Back