What type of martial arts is right for me?

Sounds like a very broad description. Generally, Tae Kwon Do is known for their kicks and fast pace, you should check out Olympic Tae Kwon Do videos on youtube. However, being a wrestler, I think that grappling would be the most dominant practice in the mma world

i have lots of suggestions there are SEVERAL types of martial arts that uses hands defend and kicks specifically what your looking for

Wushu
Karate
Jeet Kune Do
Krav Maga
Wing Chun
Choy Lee Fut

theres a lot that has kicks uses hands and defend ALOT

Then I would say do tae kwon doe. It uses hands and feet, lots of blocks, and a bunch of kicks. It is the martial art with it's own kicks made up and kicking styles. Karate is not as good.

Alot of Martial Arts teach all of these, but I definately recommend Muay Thai. It teaches you great duck-unders/dodges, blocks, head movement, and counter attacks on the defensive part. It also teaches you effective knee, hand, leg, and elbow strikes, which is why it as known as the "Art of Eight Limbs." It is by far one of the most aggressive martial arts out there, while karate is more well known as a "defensive" martial art. Muay Thai kicks are based on power, while karate and alot of Tae Kwon Do kicks are based on "snap" and speed.

There are many types like this. I refer you to taekwondo, capeoira, kickboxing and savate as a few that come to mind. Just remember, there is no better or best martial art. Trying to compare arts is like comparing painting styles. It has a lot of subjective points, and there's really no way of knowing. However, what we do know is that arts taught poorly, are completely and utterly useless. Thus your main focus should be on finding a good school, not what art is best.

Google a list of schools in your area. From here, compile a list of arts you feel are the most interesting or that you like the most. Once you have this list down, go visit the local schools of the style of your choice. While visiting these schools, make sure the instructor is knowledgeable and that the school is not a McDojo. Once you have visited all the schools in your area and you have a good list of schools, decide which school you like the best or which one is cheaper, or closer, etc.

I am a kickboxer and we use kicks, punches and defence, if you dont want to be as active and focus more on the technique side i would recommend taekwondo

Back