What makes a martial art "traditional"?

ShiroKuma

Aug 16, 2010
When it comes to the more modern or newer approaches to martial arts, the formula is a bit simpler. Whether it's for those with a major focus on competition (e.g. MMA), for the military (e.g. MCMAP), or personal self defense (e.g. Krav Maga), the basic premise is that they borrow/adopt techniques, concepts, and tactics from older arts, emphasizing those that are more obviously useful. Training methods and duration are also simplified in order to allow students to become proficient in a shorter amount of time.

But when it comes to "traditional" martial arts; things get a bit more complicated. I (think I) know a traditional martial art when I see it, but I can't really put my finger on what makes an art, traditional...

If it's the age of the style, then both aikido and shorinji kempo - both regarded as very traditional - are just a bit over 50 yeats old...
If it's how the style focuses more on its origins as true combat arts, the what about judo and muay thai? Both are usually regarded as traditional martial arts, but are derived from older styles (judo from jujutsu by Jigoro Kano, and Muay Thai from Muay Boran by order of King Rama V), and made simpler and safer in order to accommodate widespread competition...
And if we use definitions found in most dictionaries (i.e. something along the lines of "any of the traditional forms of Oriental self-defense or combat that utilize physical skill and coordination without weapons, as karate, aikido, judo, or kung fu, often practiced as sport") then what about armed styles and those not from the Orient such as savate?

So, in your opinion, what causes a martial art to be considered a "traditional" martial art?

Back