what is the theme for catching fire?

ANONYMOUS

May 11, 2008
i am doing a report on a book and i chose catching fire by suzanne collins. i have ti right the theme/main idea but i cant figure it out, it also has to be in a phrase. thanks to those who answer and if you can, please put it in a phrase. Thanks!

Themes in Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins are interdependence, loyalty, government control, and rebellion. These themes are similar to The Hunger Games, the first book in the series. The Hunger Games Book Two is sure not to disappoint readers!

Theme One: Interdependence vs. Independence

One of the themes in Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins is interdependence vs. independence. Interdependence means when two people are mutually depending on each other. Independence is when someone is acting alone, free of control. In The Hunger Games book 2, Katniss and Peeta are definitely interdependent. They are both helping each other to survive. As a matter of fact, they want the other one to survive more than they do themselves. They are actually putting themselves in more danger because they are trying to help each other win in the arena.

Theme Two: Loyalty

scollins-330-Catching fire c What does loyalty mean exactly in this world with the Capital and the 12 districts? Who should Katniss, Peeta, and Gale be loyal to--each other, their families, their district, or the Capital? These are the questions that are explored in Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. The question of loyalty occurs at many different levels in The Hunger Games book 2.

Theme Three: Government Control

Government control is another huge Catching Fire theme. Both books in The Hunger Games series focus on this theme since the Hunger Games are a direct result of government control. In the first book, the government rears its ugly head several times by making young children and teens fight to their death as a reminder of the Capital's ultimate control.

Theme Four: Rebellion

Catching Fire also focuses on rebellion. Katniss has had her own forms of rebellion throughout The Hunger Games series. When she threatens to commit suicide with Peeta at the end of book one in the arena, that was a form of rebellion. When she continues to hunt even though she has enough food in book 2, she is rebelling against the Capital's laws.

Have a pleasant day.

Back