What is a good stereo or 2.1 sound system?

Tomoya

Feb 8, 2013
I am not an audio enthusiast or audiophile, but I can tell the difference between good sound and great sound. Mostly I will listen to CD (quality) digital music, and use the speakers for TV and Bluray/DVD usage. Sort of like home theatre, but audio focused.

Currently, I have a Bang & Olufsen CD-Tape player with integrated speakers. They sound fantastic, as they did cost a pretty penny. I actually don't know how much it costs since my parents bought it a long time ago. But even this awesome piece of machinery is showing age and wear. As for my TV, I recently bought a super-slim Toshiba with murder-quality audio, and for my PC I have some Dell surround 5.1 system that sounds worse than the compact BO. Decent though.

So what should I upgrade to? I am looking for some quality stereo, and I hope that a moderately priced real system can provide better sound than my ancient BO combo. But what do I need? Stero + amp + preamp + reciever + player or some combo of those wierd words? Oh, and please make it a system that I can use with a normal power plug, no custom power please.

Finally, all I want is really good sound. Nothing over the top with hour long custom tweaking or something. Please give me a simple system that can sound great without audiophile skill needed. As for price, I have no idea, but I'd like to stay in the three digits category, but 2,500 is the absolute max if it is really necessary. Oh, and preferably Japanese, since I'm biased like that. Or European with some fancy name. Nothing made in China or USA. Ignore the last three points.

Marantz MM7025 Stereo Power Amplifier, with a pair of B & W DM601 Series II Bookshelf Speakers. Add an OPPO BDP-103 Universal 3D Blu-ray Disc Player. Your ears will love you.

Back