What is a good conflict for this story?

FireDawn

Apr 24, 2010
So, I'm writing a story, and I have a beginning and end, but I have no idea on what to do with a conflict. So, here's how it goes:
A humble painter is asked by his wife to chase a suicide note she finds outside their apartment because the handwriting looks similar to that of his recently deceased brother who also attempted suicide after leaving a note. He goes along with his wife's wish and goes and find the source of the letter.

HERE IS WHERE THE CONFLICT COMES IN

After the obstacles he passes, he finds the man who is known as the "tailor" who "alters" people when they are sent to him. People are sent to the tailor if they think of death or want to die. The tailor tells the people who send them that he'll change them and give them an opportunity to leave their homes and go to a better place. The main character finds out that the tailor doesn't in fact do this, but kills the people who are sent to him and hides them in his wall - and covers the corpses with layers of wallpaper. He finds this out when an arm falls out of the wallpaper while the tailor is applying a new layer. He of course finds the body of his brother. The tailor suffers the death penalty - but laughs on the site of his execution because he reveals that he is not the true tailor in charge of everything - but merely a worker of the "true tailor". He laughs as he dies and another suicidal letter falls in the hand of the main character.

So, what should the conflicts be?
So far, I have 2 - where he goes to an old hag's house who sent her kids to the tailor, and then to a scientist's house where he sent his wife. They both tell him it's not his business to see who wants to die.

But do you guys have any suggestions?

Back