what do you think of mma judges and referees? (discussion)?

Danny

May 12, 2008
3 questions for you about judging in mma

1. how do you feel about women mma referees?

2.whats youre opinion on mazigoti? ( however u spell it)

3. how do YOU think they could better the judging in mma? because theres been quite the problem as we all know

my answers (quick)

1. i hear people make a big ole deal about women mma refs and even fighters and even fans... ridiculous if a women's understands the game or is a good fighter then they should be doing whatever they want, judging, refing fighting ect.. what are u making a big deal about it?

2. steve mazigoty (however u spell it),has to go. bottom line is those refs are responsible for a fair fight as well as protecting downed fighters. Steve's made way to many mistakes, and once asked by a fan what he was thinking after not stopping a fight when the guy was tapping till like 5 seconds after he just kinda shrugged, get this guy outta here...

3. liddell mentioned they should start a mma judging school to better inform the judges or whatever... sounds good to me to get something like this going

youre thoughts mma fans?

Good question... I don't know much about the MMA world. In WTF taekwondo, referees and judges (and coaches) must go through rigorous training, and they can be expelled for doing what Mazzagatti did. But, MMA has bigger stakes than WTF, and so this problem needs better management.

I do not mind women refs, there is nothing technically wrong with them. I don't understand the negative hype, though I hear of it from time to time.

There are judging schools, but they aren't accredited and so it's a free-for-all. Therein lies the problem, there's no standard certification. Having a standardized certification program forces all schools to focus on a better program (as long as the certification itself is legitimate). And, there must be accountability for when referees screw up. They should be immune from some things, but when they err and someone's gets hurt, they need to feel that they need to err on the side of safety.

Back