Upgraded to Windows 7 and now cd/dvd rom won't read all disks, just some. Why?

Valene

Mar 15, 2010
I've done a lot of research today, 11 hours worth so far and I've found myself back at square one. Thought the problem was TAGES but now that I've gotten rid of that the problem is still persisting. It's not the laser eyes, that seems to be the most popular reason given. My cd/dvd rom still reads both cd's and dvd's, just not all of them and it's always the same ones. The ones that work always work, the ones that don't never do. So far it's mostly some of my games it won't read anymore but there's been a few movie dvd's it won't read either. Just sit's there and thinks and thinks but doesn't run the disks. Is there something I can download or is there a repair I need?
Oh, as an added note, the games that aren't working say they are Windows 7 compatible so that's not the reason either.
Nope, cd/dvd rom doesn't acknowledge there's a disk at all so it's not an autorun issue.

If you go into my computer does it show the name of the disc on the drive. Can you manually open it sounds like its not auto running like its suppose to so you might have to do it manually.

Edit: Click start the default programs at the right then choose change auto play settings and make sure software and games is set to ask me every time in the drop down menu.

Edit: Are the ones that are not working burned discs. Also this is probably not the problem but make sure the latest drivers are installed for your drive since you might need different ones for windows 7. If all else fails just get a new drive if its a desktop they can be had for around $20

Back