To all the audiophiles out there, which one should I get?

thecheese

Jun 28, 2008
I'm planning to get a pretty decent amp. It will probably be smaller and portable, and most likely I will not have anything over ~$200 starting out. I'm planning to get an Asus Xonar Essence sound card for my computer in the future. I'm new to the audiophile group, and I'm looking for good headphones with excellent, neutral sound quality with a good soundstage and very crisp, clear sound. I've narrowed down two choices that I believe will best suit what I'm wanting; they are the AKG K701s and the Sennheiser HD600s. While I've heard that the 701s are alittle more crisp, I've also heard that the HD600s deliver more neutral, realistic sound. Also, the headband on the 701s supposedly dig into your head, and I don't think I could deal with that for very long; I have quite a large head. I suspect they'll take some breaking into before Icould use them for extended periods of time. It is noteworthy that I have wanted the 600s for quite some time.
If it helps at all, I listen to many types of music, from metal to classical. Which one do you guys think I should go for? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

To be honest, I don't reckon you should go for either.
I reckon you should get the Beyerdynamic DT880.

I own the K702 (same as K701 with removable cable), and while it is a great headphone, it's just too treble focused for things like rock, metal, pop. It's a truly great classical headphone, and also excellent for jazz and acoustic stuff, but not for more lively music. The soundstage is great, but not what I'd call realistic. The biggest problem though is the power requirements. The K701 likes current, and a small portable amp isn't going to cut it.

I've only listened to the HD600 once, so my impressions are limited, but anyway... The HD600 is just a bit too plasticy for me. The build quality is rubbish for a headphone of that price. Also, the sound is also a bit distant and while clear not exactly crisp. I'd probably say it's another great classical headphone (in different ways to the K702), but not the best for other stuff.

The DT880 is all about neutrality. That means it is balanced, good amounts of treble, decent presence of bass, excellent mids. The soundstage isn't as extensive as the K701, but actually it sounds more realistic for it. It really sounds great with pretty much any music because it presents the sound as it was meant to be heard. Beyer have always been great at this.
It will also fare better out of a good soundcard (STX or ST) and match better with portable amps than the K701 (which really need a high current desktop amp).
Don't let the 250 ohms fool you! As long as whatever amp or soundcard you have is good and has enough gain, the DT880 should be fine.
Also it is built like a rock (much better than the HD600) and it is WAY more comfortable than the K701.

Back