Time for Roger Federer to retire?

Andrew1

May 13, 2008
After today's awful 2nd round loss to a player 116 in rankings is it time for federer to go, he's been out played in last year and clearly hasn't been hitting the standards of someone who dominated back in 05-10 ( in my opinion a poor era) he gets out played by nadal, Murray, Djokovic more and more so and were even seeing the likes of tsonga beat him, he's playing against some of the best around and clearly he can't consistently challenge and beat the top 3, he concedes way too many unforced errors and doesn't have the attacking play of nadal Djokovic and Murray, and you can only do so much at the age of 32 which he will be in August, why dent a great reputation retire at the top I feel that is at the end of the season, people may argue this but his 1V1 comparisons against the top 3 suggest he's outplayed especially of recent and he's like 17-7 down on nadal,

Insane! The guy will play until HE decides to retire. As of today's press conference he made it pretty clear he's planning on playing until he's 40.

He's still ranked in the top 5 and still loves to play and compete. He's already said he's going to play for years to come. So, no matter what anybody says, he's not retiring right now.

I feel that this is more a reality check for Federer. Sure he won last year here but he isn't playing top tennis that we are used to seeing from him. Federer will most likely play another year before he even starts to consider the possibility of retiring. You bring up a good point about him not being able to consistently beat Djokovic, Murray, or Nadal but in Federer's eyes, he only has to beat one or two of them to win a major. And besides I think he really wants to beat Sampras' grand slam record.

Because of his brilliant career, Roger Federer the GOAT of tennis, has earned the right to leave on his own terms . . . if he wants to play until he is 35 . . . let him.

Federer has more than paid his dues, if he is enjoying himself . . . we should let him.

If it was not for the love of sport, money (which is a big time business) - I think Federer would have retired by now. But given the amount of love he has to this sport, being an ambassador for the players - the sponsorship money he gets, most importantly still in the top 5 - why would he have to retire. Yeah he had a great career and could easily go out being on the top 5. The game has changed significantly since he started - at the same time we do not get to see one handed backhands, serve and volley like we used in the last 20 years or more. But even when he loses and now the monkey on his back of straight 36 QF GS appearance out of the way - he will continue to play and the last I heard was until 2016 Olympics.

Back