The Great Spelling Question Thread!

Jada

Apr 8, 2008
oh yeah, a thread to ask questions about spelling

so anyway, which one is correct, strenght or strength?(i always thought strenght was correct, but some places it's written strength, so i'm confused)

Fish Of Doom

Strength is the correct spelling. The other is a typo.

Some other common spelling mistakes people make on this forum

Also, existence is correct, existance is bad spelling.
"Could of" is wrong, it should be "could have".

Sometimes the spelling is correct but the use is incorrect.

Accept and Except
He was happy to accept the black belt.
He went to the dojo regularly except on Sunday's.

Affect and Effect
The effect of years of hard work, is a black belt.
The affect of the black belts punch was noticable.

Alcohol, politics and accommodation common typo's and mis-spellings.

also until with an extra 'L' and surprise spelt witha 'z' in place of the 2nd s although that might be a bristish thing.

:)

I was under the impression that it would also be "The effect of the black belt's punch was noticable", and you would have "the target was severely affected by the black belt's punch".

Or indeed "I effected a change in the structure of my company", just to confuse matters...

Spellin as it sounz is wot I se a lot at werk.

Dyslexia is so common these days

What's disturbing is that I read that without any problems.

Your, You're, and Yore.

You're going down to your grave, and visit your friends from the days of yore.

wow, seems this will grow fast, anyway thanks for the correction about strength, i am now in possession of more portions of linguistic knowledge

Fish Of Doom

one spelling thing that just annoys me for some reason: loose does not mean the opposite of win! My shoelaces are loose, thanks to my poor quality shoes i always lose races.

"they're" and "their" and "there"!

They're (they are) visiting their (possessive) friends who live over there (location).

(and I spell-checked this one, lol)

Lol - I use the following sentence on my evening class students to show how dodgy spell-checkers are:

Aye have marked thee exam an will knot tell a sole watt eyesore their.

I created a spell-check poster from a poem that K.T. brought to my attention. I'll try and get it scanned so you can see it.

I think you mean something more like "The black belt's punch affected him." In your second sentence, you should have still used effect.

Well done by both you guys.

Those words still mess me up. I was trying not to change the tense of the words and get them in similar short sentences.

Guess spelling isn't in my jeans....I mean genes.

3 of a kind in one sentence....can anyone beat that

ok...

I shouted "fore" for four spectators as I hit a golf ball forty feet.

I know that forty isn't actually the same word sound, but a few people spell it wrong anyway, so, I thought I'd include it for four words in one go

Similar to "lose" (opp. of win) being written as "loose" (opp. of tight), "to" is often put instead of "too".

"Too" indicates excess or "also" eg "too much" or "Bill came too" or "I had a banana, too"

Another one is "its" and "It's". The apostrophe that normally indicates possession does not apply to "it". Including the apostrophe means "it is" or "it has". Technically, I guess you could write "its'" (apostrophe after the s) to mean itself but you would lose (not loose) friends.

It's leg was broken. -wrong
Its leg was broken. -correct
Its Saturday, today. -wrong
It's Saturday, today. -correct

Coofftopics are a pain for everyone.
"How are you Bob?" is incorrect; a coofftopic should follow "you". Coofftopics are easy: if the words don't make sense together, put a coofftopic in (eg from above: "you Bob" "together put").

Rgds,
David

Back