South Carolina coach Dawn Staley says she owes Carolyn Peck a piece of her championsh

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
3f768122fd14490c00696d79d474dfb4
South Carolina won its first national title Sunday, beating Mississippi State. (AP) Dawn Staley cut down the net on Sunday night after South Carolina won the NCAA women’s basketball title, beating Mississippi State 67-55. But the entire net didn’t belong to her – she had to give a piece to Carolyn Peck, the only other black woman to coach a team to a national championship.
In her post game news*conference, Staley explained that by giving Peck a piece of the rope, she was fulfilling a promise.
“Carolyn Peck, a few years ago, when she was commentating, she gave me a piece of her net,” Staley told reporters. “She told me to keep it. I’ve had it in my wallet for years.”
She continued: “She said, ‘When you win your national championship, just return it. I’m going to have to pass a piece of my net on to somebody else so they can share and hopefully accomplish something as big as thing. I do have to give a shout-out to Carolyn Peck, and I will return her net, thankfully.”
Dawn Staley will be able to fulfill a promise to Carolyn Peck, the only other African-American woman to coach a national champion. pic.twitter.com/T6Uyve0JJX
— NCAA Women’s BKB (@ncaawbb) April 3, 2017
This was the first national title in program history for South Carolina.

Back