Snake newbie here.... Please help with my Ball Python !?

twizted

May 16, 2008
Ok just bought my first snake. A juvenile ball python, she or he (hopefully she!) is only 6 months old.
I also bought the 10 gallon "Basic Desert Villa Kit", tank, and lights.

But I didn't have stuff to put in it, so I cut up a plastic bowl, put it upside down and that's gonna be her hide for now. Then I took a big flat metal 1/2" thick dish and put it for her water bowl or to lay in it..
Aspen wood shavings for her bedding.
Then on the hot side I put it really thick and laid a ceramic tile (from my front porch) on it for her "basking spot" (for a few weeks til I can find something better)...

And the thermometer that came with the set-up. I have the thermometer on the hot side, it's just the cheap one that came with the tank, (ill get a digi in a few weeks), but she's been in it for an hour and it's not even 80 degrees yet. The hot side needs to be from 83-88 degrees, correct? If so, how do I heat it up some more lol.

Then it came with the "purple night light", so during the night I will use it. Won't that drop her tank down to basically no heat at all?
I'm just trying to figure out how to keep her warm, she's actually staying on the cool side for now though.

Also, the humidity level is reading 20%, what should it be?

BTW, I just bought her like 2 hours ago so hopefully it will get hotter in there soon, helpppp.
Ash - Are you serious? She's tiny... This is my first snake and even *I* know that a snake this little, a BALL PYTHON AT THAT, would be SO very stressed out in a 40 gallon tank. Do you know what she was living in before I bought her? A bowl. A plastic bowl. It would stress her out like crazy to just drop her into something that large. Ten gallons if FINE until she gets bigger

Back