Simply, temporarily stop HVAC flow out of one flexible duct without damage and not

WillyBee

Oct 5, 2010
involving the ceiling vent? Thanks in advance. I rent so I can't do anything that I can't easily put back later. The cat litter is perfect in that closet but it has it's own HVAC vent (in a closet? go figure) so the stink flows INTO THE HOUSE. I got a venilation fan to lay over it and it sucks air OUT - perfect - but the A/C would be wasted out the open end of that duct, laying in the attic, after removing it from the vent. Perhaps I could do the next closet too, and just tie the two ends of these 5" ducts together with the proper ductwork piece (does it exist?). I'm thinking cable-tie hefty bag over the rim where the INPUT end of the duct goes after removing it at the A/C unit. It's typical aluminum foil tube with coil spring inside. I don't want to crush or damage it, as I must put it back some day when we move. THANKS!

I would suggest maybe you rethink any action. Some times you will find a/c ducts in the closets because they had a moisture issue. This is the case in my house. we have cedar closets and they have vents in them for climate controlled long storage . This is typically for like furs or clothing that can't handle any humidity at all. Silk or expensive suits stuff like that. But anyway if you are intent on doing this you can find the main line that the duct feeds off of and take off the hose and install a cap or metal plate made of tin and re-insulate it. You can use metal duct tape to keep the cap in place when you do move just re-install the duct.

Well, I've never heard of an AC duct being in a closet. What's the point of cooling a closet?
I've never heard of this either in a closet, but are you sure that it's not an warm air return?
I'm thinking that it is because you wrote that "so the stink flows INTO THE HOUSE" makes me think it's a return sucking up the smell & redistributing it through the house.
If I'm right & it is a warm air return you can either put some plastic over the vent or leave the vent in the attic. The second is preferable but remember then in the winter it's using freezing cold air to the furnace making it more costly to heat that air & in the summer super hot air returned, same principle
I say the second only because a furnace needs return air. If you shut off or restrict the amount of air being returned the furnace will not be getting sufficient air to heat/cool.
Tying one to another still doesn't help the furnace get the air that it needs.

Any way to put an ionizer or something in the closet to help alleviate the smell or clean the litter box daily?

Go to Lowes and if the air filter section you will find a magnet that you can use to cover your vents. It is about 7" X 14" and in made of the same magnet stuff you put on the fridge.or you can pop the vent cover off and put a shopping bag over it and put it back in place, this is the easiest way to go, it's in the closet so nobody will know but you.

Back