Serena tells media to ask better questions

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
NEW YORK – Serena Williams always keeps it real. As she sat through her post-match news conference Tuesday night, answering questions about the night's three-set win over sister Venus, Serena said what was already written all over her face.
The moment came when an Italian reporter posed a question about her lack of laughter.*
Q: You just won a match. Normally you smile when you win, you come here, you laugh. What happens tonight? Is just because you beat Venus or because you're thinking about what is going next? What's wrong?
SERENA WILLIAMS: It's 11:30. To be perfectly honest with you, I don't want to be here. (Laughter.) I just want to be in bed right now. I have to wake up early to practice. I don't want to answer any of these questions and you keep asking me the same questions. It's not really -- you're not making it super enjoyable. (Laughter.)
Q. At least I made you laugh.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm just being honest.
She laughed, smirked, sort of shrugged as she said that last part. Everyone else in the room laughed, too. It was late. She'd just played a three-set match that was more emotionally draining than most. She was right, the questions were the same as many she'd answered earlier in the week. Venus had called the media out on the same thing a few minutes earlier.
Serena had to be there. It's one of professional tennis players' many off-court responsibilities. At least she was being honest. And by 11:40 p.m., she was on her way to the door.*

Back