queries regarding study in europe

mandurahmum

Apr 7, 2008
yo. long winded post so bear with me plz.

as some of you may or may not know, my situation here in norway is a bit tenuous right now, for various reasons which are inconsequential for the topic at hand. i essentially have two main choices if i am to remain here in europe (which i plan to do):

one is to attempt to land a study permit in norway, for which i need to do some research first, of which i'll take care on monday (and which i should have done ages ago), to see if i qualify for a permit while doing upper secondary education, which they require of argentines for entry into the higher education system (the american college thing flopped as the foreign ministry does not consider them valid, and the costs rise humongously if i have to pay tuition, accomodations AND have the bank money for a study permit, to the point where they are nigh unpayable), and subsequently try to get into the higher education system itself. this would take me at least one year, as i need to get my study documentation checked to see what i am missing, which i've been informed is being done very slowly and could take around 8 months, followed by the supplementary study itself. if i were to start this process, it would require me to leave the country for several months (tourist permits in norway can, but don't necessarily, last up to 3 months, after which i can't come back for three months, so assuming a best case scenario of a 3 month permit when my current ID expires, i would have until march and then would have to leave until around july if i started on october and the papers took 8 months to process (assuming i didn't get my math wrong).

the other option i have, and the root of the present query, is attempting to find somewhere else in europe that is more monetarily accessible than norway, and with less moronic higher education requirements. finland and sweden are near, and have courses available in english for which i think i might qualify, but i'm suspecting that they might be prohibitively expensive, or that the living costs themselves might be too high to cover appropriately, particularly if i can't get some sort of work to help cover expenses, and i would not wish to rely solely on my father, both due to personal ethics and due to the fact that we don't have infinite money either.
due to this, i am compelled to ask about places in europe where the cost of living are less expensive (not deluded enough to say cheap, but one can hope ), and/or where the higher education system might be accessible. since we have quite a sizeable euro population here on MAP, i was wondering if any of you could help me find information which might be useful regarding this.

thanks in advance.

fish

(btw, i speak english, portuguese (albeit the brazilian kind) and spanish fluently, and could probably learn rudimentary italian rather quickly, if that helps with the suggestions.)

Netherlands? Can't remember the name of the city now but there's one that has become somewhat infamous among the netherlandies for being a student haven. Its a popular location for Brits looking to go abroad and presumably has quite low living costs. Not sure how the entry requirements compare to Norway however.

It was Amsterdam. Remembered it because the amount of foreign students living there led to a move to get the cannabis cafes closed to all except Netherland citizens. Also legal prostitutes! Starting to see why its so popular

You mean the one that's getting quite a bit of publicity on the BBCs news reports? Their living costs are comparable to England. But the education is cheaper.

For cheaper cost of living than the Scandinavian countries.. and presumably that would include education why not try Spain? You speak the language already, just add a lisp... so that works in your favor. The weather's not bad and being that they're swarthy Spaniards your long locks would go down a treat.

puez claro, tيo, ez una buena idea la tuya!

i actually have plans in motion involving spain, and have contacts there, but it's going to take some time, even though it's still a good choice.

Point to take note of about Spain. The land regulation laws are mental. You could wake up with a bulldozer outside your front door one morning or suddenly discover you house owes billions of euros of debt. Yes your house. Debt is attached to property and it's upto the current occupant to pay that debt.

Well at least I think that's how it works.

Hi Fish

Never been to any of the Scandinavian countries but the impression I've always got from British people going there is that they're expensive places to live. So maybe anywhere else in Europe would be cheaper than where you are now?

Mike

Oi! ... Cheaper than England. Though some of our universities did decide to make English people pay the maximum tuitions fees. Shame you're not Scottish. You'd get free education. Maybe we can find you a wee Scottish wifey

maybe marry frodo, divorce her and then have her marry me afterwards?

also, got any links which might provide me with useful information?

Frodo's not Scottish dude and she don't live in Scotland

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Education/UniversitiesColleges/16640/financial-help

Don't think they've thought about your situation.

I'm Scottish by birth but haven't lived there for a while (so don't get any ideas). This was in the news a while ago about Groningen http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13888169

Back