Problems Pumping Gas?

LizLovely

Aug 12, 2012
I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra, which is supposed to have a 14 gallon tank. However, to fill it up from empty, it takes only 6-7 gallons. And from the second I start filling, it starts clicking and shutting off, as though it's full. So instead of taking 5-10 minutes to fill my tank, it takes half an hour to do only half of it.

I've had it looked at while getting my tires maintained, and there's no dents on the tank. I asked a guy in a part shop, and he said it's cause I have a lot of air in the tank. I asked my dad how I get air out of the gas tank, and he looked at me like I'm retarded and said of course there's air in a gas tank, ESPECIALLY when it's empty. Another guy said it's the checkvalve, which... that might make sense, I guess?

I just don't wanna get raped at the mechanics, and if my dad can do it, it's even better. I just don't wanna buy a checkvalve and have that not be the problem, ya know?
Thanks.

All fuel gasoline tank fill pipes have a smaller vent right beside it. Your vent pipe could be packed with junk. Replace your gasoline fill and vent pipe and your problems will be over. They're not expensive and easy to replace.

You may have something in the filler tube of the car. In certain cases, the canister evaporation unit for the fuel can plug as well, but normally that would cause other problems. The bit about your fueling up and having the pump trip like the tank is full is where I would start... looking at the filler tube and see if something has been shoved down there.
Good luck.

This exact thing happened to my best friends truck, and it turned out that it was because somebody put sugar in her gas tank. The truck had shut down the engine to stop damage from happening to the engine itself, but it DID do damage to the fuel intake and caused the exact same problem you're describing.

maybe something plugging the fill tube ,take a small hose and see if it will slide down the tube easy, or maybe the vent tube is plugged

The gas tank is not vented properly on your car either the vents are blocked or set too low on the filler neck, a shop can correct the problem, there are no check valves in the fill pipe going to the tank whoever told you that is a moron.

What is going on is the air in the tank can not get out as fast as the gas is going in and the nozzle detects a difference in back pressure and it clicks off its how all automatic gas nozzles work, and when the gas tank is not properly vented it sucks filling them up bad!

Back