Prisoners right to Vote

Prisoners in the US are not allowed to vote. Once released, convicted felons are not allowed to vote though there are ways around it even though it is illegal itself.

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=286

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_rights_in_the_United_States#Prisoners

Both Maine and Vermont allow prisoners to vote (already pointed out by slip). As for previously convicted but now free felons not being allowed to vote: I was under the impression that lifetime bans were down to a minority of states. If this is incorrect could you point me to the correct info?

Referring to that specifically... apparently it's called Felony disenfranchisement and here's a short bit from a site I like to read:

I always wanted to be able to quote a random guy named Manny.

I believe prisoners should have the right to vote. Because David Cameron is against it.

It's the sort of subject that causes Daily Telegraph readers' blood vessels to burst with fury, but really its a bit of a non-issue given the small numbers of prisoners as a proportion of the total population.

Exactly. Much like any issues with prison populations it gives the man on the street a chance to grandstand. They love to pull the moral high hat. Politicians and the media run with this stuff for all it's worth.

I guess if you're stuck in prison you might actually make the effort to learn about what you're voting for since there's not much else to do. I don't see any harm in it really, although I also don't see much point if you're not going to be out to experience the changes. Ideally I'd have it as if you'll be out within the 5 years the government will stand then yes, maybe 10 since most things will have a long term effect, but I see that being a lot more hassle than a simple yes or no.

I've not read to any great extent on the issue... but right off I'd really have to wonder about the whole concept of rehabilitation versus punishment... in the sense that if someone has been convicted of a crime... sentenced... served their time... and then for all intents and purposes now back into society as a contributing member... why would they still be punished by not being able to vote.

Seems to me that is sort of a double standard type of situation. We've punished you and you've payed your debt but you must still pay this price. Seems a bit odd.

As I understand , it's a bit of a non issue caused by 1 prisoner taking this to the european court.
I'd actually be more interested in hearing how serving prisoners feel on the subject , I must admit , if I found myself in prison for an extended period I wouldn't pay too much attention to who was running the government , because as far as I can tell prisoners issues come pretty far down the list of government/mp priorities , once it's established they're being treated fairly.

Its only illegal if you get caught

I like the way you think

One mesure of how civilised our society is how we treat our prisoners

Prisoners votes cause for celebration - YouTube
this gloating scum bags is one reason I now think we should bring back hanging, 1 shower a week, slopping out, and hard labour .

the above video is the one disgruntled man who went to the EU court of human rights, after doing a sentence for manslaughter.

That doesn't look much like prison to me, but if it is, seriously? A join and a bottle of champagne?

Back