Physics Boat- Polyurethane Coating Over Paper?

Vincent

May 14, 2008
For my high-school physics project, we're building boats using wood and paper. The only materials allowed are the aforementioned wood+paper, and wood glue and polyurethane coating. If I were to brush/paint the polyurethane onto the paper, do I have to worry about the paper getting too damp? Should I paint it on both sides of the paper at the same time, or should I coat one side first and then coat the inside after. Also, does the polyurethane make the paper stiff? I'm thinking I should get the paper glued onto the frame before painting, but I'm wondering if it's better to coat the paper first before applying it to the frame. Thanks!

First of of, polyurethane will make it stiff--if you can get it to dry in the shape you want it to. However, it won't be THAT stiff. It's not a structural material. Polyurethane is usually used in conjunction with something else as a coating even though it will stiffen it ever so slightly.

Secondly, it will soak through even if you coat only one side at a time. When that happens, it will ruin the paper and the shape. Your best bet is to make some sort of mold and then apply it so that it maintains shape.

Back