Phoning while driving?

alexmystic1324

Mar 22, 2008
As we reported in HR E-Briefing 118/2003, the ban on the use of mobile phones whilst driving takes effect from 1 December 2003.

The offence will apply not only to drivers speaking or listening to a phone call, but also using any device interactively for accessing any sort of data, sending or receiving text messages or other images, provided the device is held in the driver’s hand at least during part of the period of its operation. Employers can potentially be held liable for “causing or permitting” an employee to use a hand-held mobile phone or similar device while driving.

The penalty for contravention will be a fixed fine of £30, or a fine on conviction of up to £1,000 (£2,500 for drivers of goods vehicles or buses/coaches). The Government plans to increase the fixed penalty at a later stage to £60 plus three penalty points.

The Department for Transport has recently issued new guidance on the legislation, in the format of ‘Frequently Asked Questions’, together with a flowchart to assist individuals to work out whether they are in breach of the new regulations.
§    The guidance confirms that proper hands-free equipment and two-way radios are not prohibited by the new regulations.
§    Pushing buttons on a phone that is placed in a cradle on the dashboard, or buttons on the steering wheel is acceptable, provided that operating the phone does not require it to be held at any time.
§    The use of navigation equipment or personal digital assistants (PDAs) or other computer equipment that sends or receives data, including GPS, is permitted.
§    Mobile phones should not be used when the driver has stopped at traffic lights or during normal hold ups. In exceptional traffic jams, provided the driver has switched off the engine, use of a mobile phone would be permitted.

It will be some comfort to employers that the Department for Transport does not consider employers would be liable just because they supplied a phone or because they happened to phone an employee who was driving. Employers would probably be liable, however, if they required their employees to use a hand-held phone while driving, and possibly if they failed to warn employees that they should not use such phones when driving on company business.

Employers with ‘mobile’ employees would be advised to issue guidance on the new offence to their employees in advance of 1 December 2003, making it clear that they should not use a hand-held phone while driving. Where necessary, employers should consider supplying fully hands-free equipment to their employees.

The Department for Transport guidance and the flowchart can both be accessed from:
www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_rdsafety/documents/page/dft_rdsafety_025216.hcsp

About time! WooHoo!

Now can we crack down on boy racers, like the couple of gits that almost killed me and the delightful Fluffydoc outside the cinema on Saturday night!

If they'd stayed there after spinning out for a few more seconds

Anyway,

Andy the link doesn't seem to work.

Yeah good idea I hate seeing fools on the phone and driving. They dont seem to give a **** about driving a potential lethal weapon.

Good post Andy.

Am I right in believing that "in the ear" hands free kits do not qualify as a hand free kit now??

Thought I heard that on the news!

Tosh goes into wardrobe and dons the Abestos underwear.

Interactively accessing data??

Surely that covers selecting tracks from CD player (non wheel mounted controls accepted)??

How about tuning the radio???

Is this not classed as diverting attention too?

Indeed.

People have been done for eating ice cream while driving.

I think smoking will probably be next.

How about picking your nose??

I'm sure somone will bring out the link for that particular horror story!

I'm all for this law... shame it didn't come in sooner! Our car got hit last week by someone talking on the phone while driving. They pulled out from a junction as my dad was driving down the road. The conversation must have been really important, cos they weren't even looking in our direction. Good job my dad's sharp on the brake's, or it could have been a lot worse.

Tosh has a point, sometimes the radio can be as distracting as a mobile phone. Though I think what the "interactively accessing any sort of data" means is stuff like text messages and internet phones. Yes, some people are dumb enough to read text's whilst driving. I've been sat next to someone doing it... frightened is not a big enough word!

Yeah, and while we're at it, can we ban driving landrovers with beer cans wedged up against yer face? It would seriously improve road safety round my way...

Here in Wisconsin there was a recent story about a driver who was working on his laptop, which was in the PASSENGER seat, swerved and killed two people...the most he can get is 7 years...

Hmm, we've had this law for a while... Been working really well.

So yes, Andy, you are

Just resistant to change, much the same as police don't openly bear arms over in the UK.

Could be lack of dry weather though?

( Either that or the UK did the right thing by shipping all the worst criminals to populate Australia and the USA thus purifying our genetic gene pool in a manner Hitler should have thought of? )

hey I am a boy racer!!!!!

though people who drive when they are on the phone is a serious pet peeve of mine, its been illegal here in NYC for close to 2 years already...

Back