Phone scammed by afni for verizon bill in city I never lived in or know anyone in.

Trish

May 16, 2008
Can someone help, please?!? Got an automated call and decided to say, yes, that's me (not nickname I go by, but typos on envelopes happen, so why not here), and a lady from afni QUICKLY said I owe Verizon this amount, on this phone number at this address. I've never live there or heard of address or phone number and never knew anyone from the city it's in. She said i don't have to live there to be paying the bill. She said my name is on it and it's from 2005-2006. Guess no statute of limitations in CA. She said is this the last 2 of your social and your bday? I said want validation. They said 30-45 days. I called Verizon and was passed around to a couple different departments til someone gave me a # for their (I think), id theft and said I need to dispute. I called the # and got another lady who asked if I know anyone by this that or the other first names, I said no to each. Asked if I know a Terry. I don't, but asked how it was spelled anyway, Terry, Teri, Terri... She got huffy and said, 'IT'S JUST TERRY!' Near the end is when they asked for my DL# and after questioning she said she was just trying to help make sure it wasn't me on the acct. After i did it, she said it's not long enough. It needs to be longer. ?? It's not in my data base. Both calls the operator was very huffy when I wanted to write down exactly what the company was and get more info from her. She was talking very fast. On the way to work, I thought they may have sounded alike...maybe same person both calls? Lady at work looked up afni and my heart dropped!!! Btw...I looked up the # verizon gave me for the id theft...another # for afni!!

They did send me an invoice with my name and the other city address, a collections notice and a letter 'announcing' the notice saying at the end, since it was from years ago, they won't sue me over the matter.

I tried calling dmv, but they don't seem to care, and asked to make a police report with local sheriff dept, but they said they can't really do anything because nothings been done yet. Btw, do I get the report from my city police or the city police the bill is supposedly from?

I put a fraud alert on my credit reports...afni is on there and so is this unknown to me address along with some of my past ones. Printed out advice from a couple other sites on fraud or id theft (whichever one this is, or maybe it's both...still not sure on that either).

If anyone can give me some advice and/or answer my questions, it would be much appreciated, so please don't hesitate.
Before I forget...I just went back to Verizon after having Charter for 2 or 3 yrs when they wouldn't let me off the phone til I agreed to get their bundle service. When I told lady this and I had pac bell once she got huffy again and said it could be for any phone company, not just Verizon. Hmm.... Ok, I think that's it. ; )

Back