Oops, found another one for the Christians?

chucknorris

Mar 26, 2008
"And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven." John 3:13

"As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind." 2Kings 2:11

What contortions can you do to wiggle out of that?
*Sigh* your ignorance is hanging out, it was not a Vision, Elisha saw it happen " Elisha saw this and cried out, “My father! My father! The chariots and horsemen of Israel!” And Elisha saw him no more. Then he took hold of his own clothes and tore them apart. " 2 Kings 2:12
@Ben, not what it says, it says NO MAN HAS (hath)

The bible was written and re-written many times over by ignorant men who failed to perform basic "fact" checks

Strictly speaking, what happened to Elijah, and also what happened to Enoch - for that matter - was a type of the rapture. In other words, Elijah and Enoch were 'caught up' (I Thess.4:17) by the power of God and taken to heaven not by their own innate power or actions but by God's.

What happened to Jesus was somewhat different. Because Jesus WAS God, and therefore he ascended under his own power. After his resurrection, he was free to use his own power in a way that he hadn't been free to do whilst in a natural body. Before, he had laid his glory down, and the miracles he did were by the power of God and not by his own power, even though they attested of him.

Jesus departed of his own volition, whereas Elijah and Enoch were 'caught up'. Think about it. Of course, you have to start by giving John a little credence for knowing what he was talking about!

Chuck,

In the Bible the word heavens has different meanings. The heavens can refer to the immediate sky overhead (within* our atmosphere) it could refer to the physical universe, and it can also refer to the spirit realm where Jehovah God and his spirit creatures reside (angels and such.)

Jesus came from the spirit realm, or heaven. No one has ever been resurrected to heaven before Jesus came to earth (the spirit realm). People in Christendom who teach all good people go to heaven are wrong, and there is no backing this up in the Bible. In fact only a very few people from earth will ever go to heaven (the spirit realm).

When Elijah was picked up in the chariot and brought up into the heavens, the word there was referring to the sky within* the earth's atmosphere. There is no contradiction in the scriptures, just an overzealous person, I think, not understanding the meanings and twisting them to make it sound like a contradiction. I am glad to have been able to clear up your misunderstanding though. Please ask if you have any others.

Before the resurrection of Jesus,no man went to Heaven. There was a Paradise side and a tormented place in Hades. Read Luke chapter 16 verses 19-31. Read Psalms 68:12,Eph. 4:8,9, & 1 Peter 3:18-20.

Back