Oblivion at Alton Towers

The suspense going up the lift hill is the best bit lol! I can't stand a fast lifthill! Best is Nemesis Inferno at TP - you have an entire presection before the lift hill to get you right into the mood! ^^

The problem with alton towers is spending 6 hours there and getting on 4 rides or something. If it was quicker or easier to get fast track it would be great

It's not that great... for a start there's always peer pressure to go on it with your friends just to prove you're not scared. Most of the excitement comes from the anticipation: it was hyped up a lot in the media when it was first opened, that area of the park is designed in such a way that as you walk round it you get very close to the vertical drop which makes you want to go on it, and there's the videos you watch as you queue. The ride itself is boring - it goes down a drop (which is exciting, I admit) then before you know it you're braked and the ride ends. It's as if they wanted the world's first vertical drop for the publicity, but didn't want to spend the money developing it into a rollercoaster that's actually interesting to ride.

That sounds awesome :D personally though what it is is my stupid fear of heights, I love the rides when they're actually going but I hate being perched on top of a bit of metal in a box on wheels. I wish I could get over it, grr

lol we went on the ride 11 times in the same visit. We were getting ready to leave as the park was closing, but there was hardly anyone around. There was only us queuing for the ride. The queue time said, "5 Minutes", which basically meant it takes 5 minutes to walk around the damn long queuing area lol... The ride attendants wouldn't let us just stay on the ride and go round again, even though we'd been round the queuing area twice already and noone else was there, so we found a shortcut jumping over a locked gate and ran round and round the queuing area over and over lol... We had so many photos by the end... We got told off for Nazi poses though meh... Fun times :D

Hehe, I'm just the same, don't worry.

If you really wanna crap bricks, take yourself along to Drayton Manor.

Go on Apocalypse.

It's a 200foot drop tower. Lifts you up and up and up. Pauses. No countdown.

WHOOMPH!

Scares the living crap out of me. :woo:

Oblivion isn't what it's cracked up to be. Yeah, it's a rush, but go on Nemesis or Rita for it.

Oblivion is so short! You can queue for ages for what is, in effect, a circle.

Meh Air is too overrated, its not even exciting and you don't feel anything when you go down drops, its really disappointing

Oblivion on the other hand is brilliant, i was screaming all the way down until it went so fast the scream got stuck in my throat. Ah good times :)

Haha, I'm just back from Port aventura. Hurakan Condor. 300ft high, 280ft freefall. It takes your picture a second before it drops you so when you see the flash you know exactly what's coming next. Screamed my head off :p:

sorry to go off topic for a minute, but has anyone been on kumali at flamingo land?

back on topic - I'll probably ride Blivvy when it is about to shut down, just so I don't regret not doing it. But it will not be a happy experience for me :(

Go on it during the off peak season, late September and October. You can pretty much go round as many times are you like :)

Oblivion is alright but it doesn't last long enough, in my opinion Nemesis is better.

Haha! Yeah, you're body just goes into "I'm gonna die!!" mode lol!

Awesome to see girls who are into their rides though, I know so many who don't enjoy them :)

Is it just me or does the hold at the top always feel MUCH longer when you're up there than when you're on the ground looking up? It seems to hold for like half a second on the ground but feels more like 3-4 seconds on the ride. Also, I thought the launch on Rita was actually more intense than the drop on Oblivion. I guess it's because the launch is faster than freefall. I can imagine that's a good way of making someone ride Oblivion since getting them on Rita first is a lot easier considering how tame it looks from the ground.

Yeah, the launch is far more intense.

If you like Intamin Accelerator coasters, then go to Thorpe Park and have a go on Stealth.

Similar thing to Rita except it launches a LOT faster and has a 200 foot arch (called a top hat) that you go flying over too.

Or if you want the big guns... go to America and go on Kingda Ka :)

Yeah, I'd love to go to SFGAd but it's unlikely that that'll happen while I'm still living with my parents since they aren't really theme park lovers. Also, my dad hates Thorpe Park because he thinks it's kind of a dump:p: I guess he's not exactly wrong but still...

I'm going to Six Flags Magic Mountain in October though, since we're going to Los Angeles so I can try some of the bigger rides there.

Back