My computer/iTunes recognizes my iTouch 2G but it stopped recognizing my iTouch...

questiongirl

Mar 26, 2008
...4G???!!? So saturday night i downloaded a program on my computer and it happen to be unuseful so i uninstalled it. just before, i transferred a song on my ipod from my itunes. the next day i plugged in my ipod and it startes to charge. but my computer doesnt say i have anything plugged into it like it normally does.. so i get my second generation i touch and i plug it in and itunes pops up and my computer recognizes it..WTF what is going on? ive tried using different usb's and i uninstalled itunes and restarted my laptop. out of the blue, the computer stopped recognizing my IPOD. I place my second generation into the charging docking station and Itunes loads and everything is fine. I take it out and plug mine in and it only charges. Windows XP doesn't recognize it and obviously, neither does Itunes.

Since my 2g works, I've eliminated firewall and USB problems. I've read the threads and couldn't find any other problems similar to mine (1 iPod works but not another).

The only other suggestions I've seen is a total restore of the IPOD but that requires the computer to recognize it! and if i restore my ipod my music will never be on it again because my old laptop that crashed has 90% of my origional music on it. this laptop has about 200 songs on it.

also my ipod connects to my other laptop just fine.

I'm very frustrated and at my wit's end. I really appreciate your help.

Join here and an expert will answer: https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa
Support at the itunes store will help you too.

First of all, you dont need your laptop computer to restore a device, you can do it from the device itself.

Second of all,the program probably deleted some registry on your laptop. This happened to me. You are gonna have to call and they will help you put that registry back. They will guide you through it.

Lastly, before you do the second option i would advise you remove and install apple mobile device support first. Just to make sure. Heres the link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

Hope this helped. I honesty know how frustrating this is. As i went through the same thing. Good luck

Back