My ball python is blind?

Ryan

May 14, 2008
I asked a question a little a while ago about my bp being a problem feeder, but I think I may have figured out what it could be.

I think she is blind. She is 5 months old now, and has only eaten twice since I got her 3 months ago, and both times she had to be assist fed due to her immaciated state. I watched a friend of mine feed his year old BP last night. It moved with precision and smelled out the live mouse in the feed box and very carefully but quickly struck and strangled the mouse.

This is not my snake at all. When a prey item is introduced to her enclosure, she comes out of her hide and slithers around the cage, seemingly chasing the rodent around, wobbling too and fro as if she is dizzy. Her wobbling is another reason why I think she is blind, as she wobbles and bumps into things and falls off her log all the time and doesnt seem very spaially aware. The mouse could and has slowly walked by her head while she is hunting and she doesn't even make a turn towards it. They slept in the same hide overnight for gods sake.

I've even tried feeding her in a separate container, which yields the same result. I open the container and she is already slithering out of the container. She never coils up, even when she is under her hide. She's always stretched out.

I think she's blind and has no idea how to eat or catch prey. I've literally tried everything, with live and with dead prey, and she doesn't respond to anything, even dangling a mouse in her face.

its possible that her sense of smell is lost
i heard snakes go off of sense of smell and if that was gone it wouldnt know what to do

Back